CHAPTER 10

CHAPTER 10

I gasp, and lulu stops screaming at the red faced girl. The red faced girl is yelling at the girl on the floor.

"I spent two months saving and trading for that! You know I love cranberries, and now you fell on to my gallon jug of it! I HATE YOU!" she screamed, not noticing me. Oh, so everyone's ok. That was a little bit over the top. I thought to myself.

"Hey lulu, umm, can you take a break?" I ask holding up the cups. She gives me a thankful smile. I walk into the hall, soon followed by lulu. As we walked she told me all about what happened.

So the story is that the red faced girl-Olivia- saved and saved to get cranberry juice. The blond girl-Michel- tripped and fell onto the gallon sized jug, and it not only was all lost, but it also stained the carpet. So overall, Olivia was really mad at Michel. The red liquid was cranberry juice, and the shouting came from Olivia and lulu. Lulu was yelling at Olivia for overreacting, and Olivia was yelling at Michael for crushing a gallon of cranberry juice. Michel was scared, so that's why her eyes were so wide.

"Why did she want cranberry juice of all things?" I asked. Lulu looked at me very seriously.

"Back in the block, Olivia's parents traded her for a bottle of cranberry juice to a man who owned a cranberry juice processing plant. They said that they wanted better for her and so she would always have something better than a box to sleep in. She got her own room from the man who owned the juice processing plant, but she didn't see her parents ever again, and was a worker at that factory from when she was four, till' she left the block. And the worst part? She saved for a year to get three dollars so she could find her parents with a person finding machine. She punched in their names, and they had been taken away by the keepers only a week after they had left her with the man who owned the juice processing plant. They had been charged for stealing a bottle of cranberry juice. She always wanted to at least taste it, because she was given money to buy food, but she was never allowed to drink cranberry juice. She always wanted to have a taste of the drink her parents had traded her for." lulu says earnestly. I think I might cry. I've heard a lot of sad stories, even sadder than that, but for some reason, this one time, I thought I might cry.

I look down at my hands. I'm still holding the milkshakes.

"Here, this is for you!" I say, pushing the milkshake into Lulus hands.

"Remember Mia from school? She's a cook now and she made an extra special treat for us. It's like an upgrade from a smoothie." I explain.

Lulu takes a sip. She gives a rare smile I don't see from her often.

"WOW! Esma! THIS IS AMAZING! OF COURSE THIS IS BETTER THAN A SMOOTHIE! THIS. IS. THE. BEST. THING. EVER!" she gushes out.

I take a sip. My sparkling eyes meet hers. Those milkshakes practically evaporated. We loved them. After we finished , I got a weird feeling in my throat, and lulu said her brain was frozen. I know that that wasn't true, but my throat felt frozen. We head off to the library. We look it up, and it says lulu either has a brain freeze or a migraine. It says I have a throat freeze.

We went out into the great outdoors. I see Lilly. She looks like she's done nothing but eat for a while. She looks worried to.

"Tyler's gone, I can't find him!" she exclaims. Lulu looks at her large stomach.

"Did you accidentally eat him?" She asks sarcastically I elbow her.

"No, I, wait. Are you calling me fat?" challenged Lilly, her face red as cranberry. I don't know why, but I have cranberries on my mind.