Chapter.2

Chapter .2

Nina took the tube and reach the SUBWAY by 7.20 and can't seems to find him anywhere. Great, she thought, He has probably walked back to his house because I'm five freaking minutes late. Or Wednesday might have inject a certain lazy influence to his body, that the usual on-time workaholic decide to stay at home that very day and break his appointment record by coming late for the very first time.

She decided to first make an order of Meatball Sub and her morning booze of coffee and find a seat a table away from this young girl and boy. She starts eating her sub while waiting for her boss. Nina personally loves Italian food, and bolognaise sauce just never goes wrong. She was dying to try this dish for a while, until last month she finally decide to give it a try, and it has become her favourite eversince. Screw messy! Taste over appearance...

Meanwhile she observe the two kids in front of her, looks like they are sharing a six inch sub. She has never seen any sub cut that short before. Maybe it was the kids meal thing. She was so amazed on how cute the two. The boy looks slightly bigger than the girl, but he seems to take the big brother role well while their parents are away. He tried to subbly glance through the window, most likely searching for any sign of their parents.

The cute little boy seems like a three or four years old, and he keep wiping bread crumble from his sister's mouth, and hand, and mouth, and so on. Nina's lips form a smile unconciously as she saw the little girl frown when her brother interfere her eating session and then turn to smile when her brother smile at her once he get her clean for that short while.

Feels like being watched, the brother turns to Nina's direction. He frown, and then turn to smirk when he seems to found something in her face. He point to his left cheek while looking at Nina. She takes a second to figure out what the little boy is doing, before trying to wipe her left cheek, gaining the little sister's attention as well.

The little girl also giggles at her, and point her left cheek. So Nina touch her left cheek again, but they realise she get it wrong, so they start pointing at their right cheeks. Great, Nina thought as she wipes her right cheek, so I have sauce all over my face. Luckily her boss decide to have a no-show today, or she'll embarased herself in front of him, and get her profesionalism questioned.

She was smiling a thank you toward the little kids, when the front door open, revealing her boss. Then she realise he was carrying a newspaper and cups of ice creams on his hands. Her eyebrow raised unintentionally, she could never has pin him as the icecream type of guy.

She was rushing to the door to help him carry the ice cream. "Well, I don't know you went to buy me ice cream." Nina smiled to him, "Thank you!"

Jake was about to say something when... "ICE CREAM!" squeals come from behind her.

Before she notice, the two kids was running and grab the ice creams. "Yeah, well, I actually bought it for them. Sorry, I don't know you would want one." He feel slightly flustered, "You were late."

"Oh, no, I mean it's okay." Oh, no, I don't know the kids were yours.

"Well, why don't we go have a seat." he suggested.

He start walking back to the kids before she respond. Nina follows behind, grab her untouched coffee from the other table and sit beside him.

"So, good morning." she said "I was 5 minutes behind and tought for once you are late."

"We were here ON TIME." he emphasized on the last two words. "I think I left a minute before you, I was buying some newspaper and their dessert. I innitially thought of keeping them under your watch while I went off."

Nina feel slightly guilty and didn't answer him. Her silent question is thick in the air, while she look back and forth from her boss, the little boy, the little girl. They too silently watching over her, probably wondering who Nina is as well as she to them.

"They are my kids." He said with so might adoration and pride. his face was painted with genuine smile he never exhibit before her. Nina was stunned by his smile, then his revelation.