7: Rising Above Consequences

Chapter Seven: Rising Above Consequences

Now is want she's always wanted, she was now running Lodge industries. The bastard wrote her and Veronica in his will. Now she was the owner and finally the boss. Over the years she discovered he made her feel so weak about herself and now that he was gone.

She was free to be whatever she wished.

Veronica sat in her room, admiring the ceiling with her brown exhausted eyes. Her mind raced with anxiety. Jughead hasn't made any progress. She felt as if it was her fault. Jughead's in a coma because of her. This was all her fault.

"Vee... open the door!" Betty hollered through the wood door. She heard a sigh and a soft knock," Vee, come on, I know you can hear me and your mom let me up here!"

The young lodge threw herself off the bed with an agitated groan. She wasn't on the mood for visitors, her friend was in critical condition and it was her fault.

"What?" She barked, Betty Cooper visibly flinched at the tone. Veronica took notice and softened her tone," I'm sorry, Bee." She sighed," I guess I'm moody because of Jughead...." His name drew with a longer sigh, almost disappointed.

Betty draws her lips close, then opens again with a soft smile," It's okay."

The two plopped onto Veronica's bed, cozying up with her velvet blankets. Betty tried to lighten the mood by cracking a few jokes but it failed miserably.

"Any news?" Veronica heard a depressed sigh and caught Betty's smile fall with one shake of her head. "Damn."

Betty peaks up with a small gentle smile," I'm sure Mr. Jones will let us know as soon as he finds out." Veronica could tell that Betty was trying to make her feel better.

But it wasn't helping, it only made her will absolutely worse.

After a couple moments in dying silence, Betty speaks again, this time catching Veronica attention.

"Vee, why didn't you tell me about.... him?" She immediately knew who they were talking about.

Her mind flashed with blanks. She couldn't think with her eyes appearing watered. She cleared her throat and let out sniffle as Betty handed her a tissue.

"Uh.... well, I was scared, B. Every time someone tried to rescue us, they would get hurt. Well Lodge hurt. He killed the maid for helping and made us bury her and after that beat us until he gave out."

Betty's eyes glistened with blobs. She never imagined such horror her best friend had to witness or suffer would be the better word for it.

She wrapped her arms around Veronica's fragile body, bruises were still heavily injured and ached. Veronica's body tenses slightly, but quickly relaxes and let out a sob.

"Shh, you're safe, V. He's dead and you are finally freed from his clutches."

—-xx—

A few days later, A phone rang causing, Hermione to stir in her sleep. She wasn't fully awake when the she answered the phone.

"Hello?" Her voice foggy with sleep.

"Mione!" The voice screeched loudly in her ears, causing her to lift the phone an inch away from her face. "What?" She snapped back, still awaking from her slumber.

"It's Jughead!" Immediately Hermione opens her eyes wider," What about Jughead?"

A deep sigh breaks through the line," He's...."

"He's what?!"

"He's... he's gone, Mione!" Cries filled the other side, she couldn't seem to make her mouth move or vocalize a response.

"No,no he can't be!" She cried out," FP, are you being serious?"

"My baby boy is gone!" FP cries louder, sobbing uncontrollably.

"No!"

"Mom, it's just a nightmare!"

She kept shaking her head aggressively. There's no way Jughead passed away. He's still too young and has so much life to live and love. This isn't true. It can't be true!

"Mamí, wake up!"

Hermione shot up quickly, causing Veronica to back away for a second and then return. Hermione panted heavily as her chest kept rising higher and her breathing quickened.

"Is he dead?" Her daughter held a quizzed look on her face," what do you mean " is he dead?" I don't know you're taking about." 

"Jughead. Is Jughead dead?"

Veronica shook her head, Hermione broke into a relieved smile on her features." No, no, Mr. Jones just called saying Jughead woke up."

Hermione laid back in bed holding a smile as relieved tears brushed onto her cheeks and down the sides of her neckline.

"Oh... oh good."

——xx

Here's a short update to hold you over until i update again. I have a busy weekend. I'm graduating high school tomorrow afternoon. So I most likely won't be updating. And afterward mom is going to make me a dinner here. Sorry for the freak out.

But Jughead's alive!

I hope I didn't scare you too much.Thank you very much for reading my book! I really appreciate it! ❤️🎓