chapter 10

The next couple of weeks were uneventful. We got as much financial help we could get for ‘Love for Everyone’. Nithya and Jenny were hanging out together leaving me astray. And the lovebirds Gowtham and Priya were in their own world and doing things what an engaged couple would do. Just thinking about them brought a lazy smile on my face. I was really happy that my friends are going to start a new life together. It is going to be the marriage of the year, of course if Priya’s parents agreed to it.

I have been lost in my own thoughts that I haven’t realized I have reached my apartment and was standing before the door. I placed the key in the keyhole and was about to open it when I found it already open. I entered the house and saw the devil itself sprawled on my sofa and lazily surfing through the channels on my TV. Her white salvaar and loose hair and the glass she had in her hand with some sort of deep red liquid in it would have made me believe it’s a ghost if not I have known her for more than a decade.

“For God’s sake Jenny Stop sneaking into my house!” I cried out. She seemed oblivious to my arrival until I shouted and even looked a little bit startled. But she quickly composed herself and said, “My my honey! Hard day at the office? You seem to be in a lousy mood. Would you like a drink?” She said pointing towards the red liquid. The color was so identical to blood and Jenny sipping that through a straw brought an involuntary shudder within me. I looked towards the TV and even noticed that she was watching twilight. Talk about irony. She offered her glass to me but I scrunched my nose in disgust and answered, “No thanks. I am good”. I started towards my bedroom to get out of my work clothes as she shouted from the living room, “Hey keep in mind that you are denying something made by a professional and a great one at that.”

“You are so funny sometimes Jenny” I shouted back.

She barged into my room the next second, “Don’t you dare talk about my profession.” and shrieked midsentence, ”Ewww.. Ash! For god’s sake put some clothes on” even though I had only taken my shirt off. She quickly covered her eyes and I rolled mine at that and said, “There is something called knocking a door before entering, Jenny. Of course why would you know about that? Jeez when are you going to learn about privacy and personal space?”

“Oh I know, NEVER” she answered with a mischievous smile.

“Get out”, I said and threw my shirt in her face but she swiftly dodged it. “You are so mean Ash”, she huffed and left my room. Being in a suffocating suit and strangling tie for more than ten hours would make anyone feel as though they have been constrained in hell and the first thing you want to do when you reach home is to get out of them. When I had changed into more comfortable clothes I made my way to the kitchen to get some water. I brought it with me to the living room and plopped myself in the sofa beside Jenny who was back to watching the movie. Seems like we would be watching twilight today. I tried to grab the remote without alerting Jenny. Though her eyes were glued to the screen she somehow realized my plan and said with a warning tone, “Don’t even think about it.” I let out an exasperated sigh and prepared myself to watch the movie.

After few minutes we heard the door bell ring and I got up from my place to see who was at the door. I opened the door to see a fully drenched Nithya. She was completely soaked in water and her hair was sticking at weird angles. Even in that attire she looked as beautiful as ever, if possible, even a little more.

I must have been staring at her for a long time because she was waving her hand in front of my face to get my attention. I found my words quickly and managed a nervous hi and invited her in.

Jenny brightened up the instant she saw Nithya and said, “Hey Nithya” She gave her a once over and asked through her laugh, “Care to explain why you look like a stray dog?”