chapter 8

Twenty minutes later we were standing before a two storey building. Nithya was awed by its décor and was standing there mesmerized. Though the building had a rich and elegant exterior with its glass finish and everything, somehow it had a homey look to it. The whole building was painted in a dark red that  didn’t look too sparkly or too dull. It was just right just like its name which was displayed in a big circular emblem at the centre of the building.

“JUST RIGHT” Nithya read it out aloud and turned towards me and said, “You didn’t say you were taking me to the restaurant where Jenny works”.

I let out a laugh and said, “Did she say she works here? The truth is she owns this place.” She seemed surprised and looked at me like questioning, “Really?” I ushered her in and asked the receptionist to let Jenny know that we have arrived.

Few minutes later Jenny came to us with a wide smile and greeted, “Ash and Nithya” she nearly squealed and I groaned in frustration at the nickname she used for me. She would never stop calling me that no matter how many times I asked her to stop. She gave a small peck on Nithya’s cheek and Nithya returned it too. Seemed like that was the way they used to greet each other whenever they met.

“You never told me you owned this place” Nithya said with a pout. Jenny cast a look at me that said ‘I knew you are the one who said that to her so don’t even try to act like you don’t know anything’. She turned towards Nithya and said, “Oh honey I didn’t want to keep it as a secret. Besides I don’t own this place by myself. I am a working partner and this man right here also owns this place. He is the financial partner of this place”

Nithya suddenly turned towards me with a disbelieving look and I quickly answered, “Jenny I gave you money when you started this place and it was five years back. I have never set foot on this place after that and it was you who made this place a success with your hard work. I have told you so many times that I will not claim any right over your hard work. So stop saying to people that I own this place too.”

“All right Mr.Grumpy. As you have said, you never come here often. So what brings you here now?” Jenny asked with a hand on her hip, the trademark Jenny’s posture that meant no bullshitting.

“Well I came here to ask you a favor.” Both Nithya and Jenny looked at me curiously and I explained about ‘Love for everyone’ and Nithya’s part in it. I also explained about their need for money for the children’s day celebration. “So I thought if you would cater for their function then it would reduce some of the expenses. I will pay you too. It’s not much but it would help.” Nithya started to protest but Jenny cut her off, “It’s okay Nithya. What you are doing is something great and we would be happy to be a part of it. And Ash you don’t have to pay me. I will do it for free.” I started to protest but someone called for her and she gave us a bright smile and said, “I will be right back and we will have lunch together and it’s on the house. Sam here will take you to your table and I will join you in few minutes. Say no more and go get seated. Shoo!” She left us with that and sprinted towards the office. Sam, the waiter, took us to our table. As soon as we were left alone Nithya started, “You don’t have to do that you know”.

I gave her a small smile and said with utmost sincerity, “I know I don’t have to but I want to”. She stared at me for a while. The look she had on her face was a mixture of many emotions like happiness, relief, gratitude and besides that there was something in her eyes that I couldn’t exactly put my fingers on. Our eyes locked for a second and the air around us got thick for a moment. It all happened too quickly that I would have even convinced myself that I have imagined that look on her face. Nithya averted her eyes quickly and started fiddling with the flowers on the table. I threw her a confused look but she acted like she didn’t notice it which confused me more. I couldn’t explain what those few seconds meant. Whatever it is I was sure that I didn’t want to explore it further.