The Ultimate Test

Start from the beginning

Minato continued to glare at you quietly; you tried to maintain eye contact but eventually your vision instinctively went downcast around his desk before shifting back up to relink with his icy blue eyes. Soon, the impasse became rather awkward.

Hold your ground, (y/n)!

Without warning, Minato shut his eyes and the signs of a deep, slow inhale made its way to your ears. After a couple more moments, the hold on his breath released while removing his elbows from the table; a lax, defeated expression replaced his serious one, with a benevolent smile to accompany it.

"The assignment to find Madara and retrieve Rin does qualify as an A-rank or even an S-rank mission – and the two of you did complete it successfully. I suppose I have no choice but to make an exception with those credentials."

The smile that overtook your features almost hurt from how outspread it was.

"However, I will see it that Obito is granted permission to take a special Jonin exam, to truly test his current skills and experience as a shinobi.

Jonin exam? I heard about that once in the show, but it was never mentioned again. I figured that Chunin were just promoted once they get approval from the Hokage.

"A Jonin exam, sensei? What does he need to do to prove himself?"

"Since this is a special case, I will personally design a specific set of A-rank and S-rank level tasks for Obito to undertake, to simulate a typical mission for Jonin. If I am satisfied with his results, then I will acknowledge his growth and promote him to a Jonin," Minato stated while he scrawled something onto a sheet of paper before handing it to you.

"Pass this along to Obito, with the message to prepare himself."

~~~

Stacking the now empty bowl atop two others with an audible clunk, you sighed and leaned back on the stool with a satisfied smirk on your face. Obito simultaneously glanced in your direction with a mouthful of ramen, with part of the noodles still dangling from his mouth while he closed his eyes in delight as a response to your contentment.

Soon, your body began to tremble, and you couldn't help but let a sly snicker escape your lips, no longer able to control your excitement over what you had to tell your best friend.

"You're that excited about finally breaking out of that place, huh? I don't blame you. I'd have lost it if I had to stay cooped up in that hospital room for as long as you did."

You clumsily shook your head; your eyes still squeezed shut in glee as you wordlessly slid a document across the bar to Obito.

"What's this?"

"Read it."

Obito's dark eyes shifted from you to the paper in front of him, with his expression morphing from mild puzzlement to stark bewilderment almost immediately while his hands eagerly darted from his lap to grasp at the document with an insistent crumpling noise.

"(y/n)...! Is this...?!"

"Hmm-hm!" was all your throat could produce through all the exhilaration in the air.

Obito's jaw dropped, his mind clouded with disbelief as his eyes continued to examine the Jonin application you picked up for him.

"But (y/n), I need Minato-sensei to sign this for-" Obito's breath caught in his throat once his scanning eyes captured a neat scribbling on the dotted line.

The Fourth Hokage's signature.

Obito's eyes widened before he lifted one foot and quickly levered himself out of his seat, with you gleefully standing up with him shortly after. Finally, he forced his gaze off that tidy stamp of approval and turned his attention entirely to you, his parted mouth instantly switching to a euphoric smile.