Chapter Forty-Nine: Back to Diego, Our Kraken of a Guy / Man, He Needs a Hug

Depuis le début

Oh, Dave.

Shit. He missed Dave. He missed Dave's hair, and his smile, and his laugh that felt like warm blankets just out of the dryer and hot chocolate. He missed his hugs, and his kisses, and his lame dad jokes and the way his smirk was just a little crooked. Dave would've been a great dad. But he was dead.

Klaus hit his leg, a sharp pain expanding from it. He shakily lifted the joint to his mouth again, trying to drown his lungs in the smoke. His lungs didn't like that.

Coughing, Klaus started to cry. His tears splattered the jeans he'd stolen from Jordan's closet, ash falling off the joint and landing on the shingles. His heart ached, but so did everything else; it all hurt, all these voices screaming. All those fucking dead people on the lawn, shouting at him that they didn't want to die. They just wanted to go back to 1901, and live out their life with their Anne-Marie. He wanted to go home, see Julie Boyd in 1957. All of them clambered for his attention, yelling for his help and begging him to speak back.

"Fuck off!" Klaus screamed at them. They all flinched and stepped back, their uniforms sparkling in the midday sun. "Fuck off, you assholes!"

He leaned back against the warm wall, joint heating up his fingers, and swallowed another sob. He was trembling worse than before as he tried to take another drag. He needed this. He needed this. He wasn't disappointing anyone, right? No one cared. God, he could probably jump off this roof and nobody'd notice for at least a good two days. They all had their own problems: Vanya lay in the room behind him, unconscious and probably dying; Diego was missing; Jordan and Five where fuck know's where. Luther and Allison had their issues, Ben as well, not to mention the whole We Ate Our Past-Selves thing. He should jump off that roof. He'd be one less thing for people to worry about.

Klaus stabbed the joint into the roof, kicking it away with his foot. The heat flared through the sock and he winced. Covering his eyes, Klaus allowed himself to start crying.

Fuck. He missed Dave. He missed Diego. He missed Five. He missed Jordan. Fucking hell. He missed Mom.

"Klaus? What the hell are you doing out here?" Ben whispered, poking his head out through the window. He took in the scene and his eyes widened, anger flaring in them. "Are you getting fucking high?"

"No," Klaus muttered, facing his brother. "I was getting fucking high."

"Klaus," Ben hissed. His jaw was clenched as he crawled onto the roof, his eyes darting to the nearby edge. Carefully, he made his way to where Klaus sat. "What's up with you? I thought you where finally getting sober? Where'd you even get the weed?"

"I found it. Jordie's mom's room."

"The one where he said to not go in?"

Klaus smiled wanly. "That's the one."

Ben sighed and said, "Okay, then. Why'd you want to get high?"

"I miss him, Ben," Klaus said quietly. "And those asses won't shut the fuck up." he waved out to the yard. Ben glanced out and frowned, wishing he could see the ghosts that followed his brother around.

"I'm sorry."

"Your apologies don't change anything, Benny. But I appreciate it."

Ben sighed again. "Klaus, you should really come inside and lay down. Allison's taking a nap, and Luther's watching the yards. You need to sleep it off."

"I don't wanna," Klaus said. Ben lightly touched his shoulder and he flinched.

"Please, Klaus?"

They stared at each other, the wind blowing their hair around. Unheard to all but Klaus, spirits howled about how unfair it was to be dead.

"Fine," Klaus mumbled. Ben smiled in relief and helped him in the window and to Jordan's room, where he curled up in a ball on the bed and closed his eyes.

Ben closed the door gently and checked on Vanya's bandages, making sure that Allison was comfortable. Then, he closed the window and locked it. Staring down at the empty yard, Ben pressed his lips together and glanced around furtively.

He raised a middle finger to the invisible ghosts and then left.

A/N:

lol ben flipped off some ghosties.
i am so sorry, i feel like this is dragging out or going too fast and that the quality is falling
anyways, we still have quite a ways to go on this. i hope you enjoyed this chapter anyways, and that you have a lovely day !