Part 12 - Realizations

They gathered in the Observation Lounge. The captain spoke. "It is with great sadness that I speak to you today about four brave men. They made the ultimate sacrifice, to help our new friends." The Ikaarans all bowed their heads.

"Christian Harris was the night shift pilot. He was quiet, and he kept to himself. He was available almost at the drop of a hat, and he enjoyed piloting the Enterprise and her shuttlepods very much."

Jonathan cleared his throat before proceeding. "Brooks Haynem was an accomplished Security Crewman, with a background in engineering. While he could have done bad things," the full disclosure about their earlier iteration and the attack on Patti Socorro had not yet been made to the Ikaarans, "he chose not to. He was particularly kind to Crewman Sandra Sloane." Sophie put an arm around Sandra.

"Jay Hayes was the commanding officer for the MACOs. He was smart, accomplished and inventive. He was brought aboard because he was the best. I have no doubt as to that assessment. I never have."

Jennifer took Lili's hand. Lili stared into space; she was again in shock and impassive.

"Malcolm Reed," Lili gasped as Captain Archer spoke, "was our Tactical Officer, with a rank of Lieutenant. He was one of the smartest people I have ever known. Recently, I feel we became good friends. I also know how close he became to our sous-chef, Lili O'Day."

José was standing behind Lili. He put a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

"And the Ikaarans tell me that they recently had a loss on the planet's surface. And this was not their first loss, for there were casualties when they crashed, too. There are burial mounds there. I know that they have had their own share of sorrows. All we can hope is that, together, we can all begin to heal. I thank you."

Lili wandered a bit until she found Sandra. Wordlessly, the two women hugged, sobbing.

=/\=

As the group dispersed, Verinold found Captain Archer. "What we have is yours. The cloak, I imagine, cannot be adapted to your vessel or even one of your remaining shuttles, but you can use our shuttle, of course."

"Thanks," replied Jonathan.

"My charges and I appreciate your hospitality and your kindness. But at some point, we must be on our way."

"Uh, I don't think we can do that."

"Please do not mistake my gratitude for servility, Captain. We do not wish to belong to you."

"I know. But, uh, let me ask you, Verinold, when were you born?"

"Me? 1992 – probably close to when you were."

"No," Captain Archer told him, "I was born on October ninth, 2112."

"That's over eighty years from now."

"Yes," confirmed Jonathan. He explained about the Kovaalan particle wake, and how it had kicked them back in time, twice.

"How extraordinary. And you have no way to return?"

"None we can think of. We tried to contact the only time traveler we know, but either he's not hearing or he's not listening."

"I see."

"We also know a bit about your species," Jonathan stated. "We know that your ships are segregated by gender during your peak fertility years. And we know why – it's to keep you from having children, as your society doesn't believe in chemical birth control."

"That is correct."

"We also know that, on your grossly overpopulated planet, your scientists performed some genetic engineering on your species. Now you all die young, of a disease you call the decline."