Part 9 - For Every Action ...

It was early but, really, the only way that Esilia and Kerna could tell that was by looking at their wrist chronometers. They took their meager share of the food – dried strips of flattened olowa fruit and some baked tofflin paste that was a reasonable approximation of bread – and crept out to where the small Ikaaran shuttle was.

They had been preparing for perhaps five minutes when a voice said, "What do you think you're doing?"

"Izquilla," Kerna whispered, "lower your voice."

The young Communications Officer looked at her. "You mean to escape our wretched existence."

"We mean to get help, and bring it back," Esilia told her.

"Verinold said the Imvari are out there. You said so yourself that you did not wish to be captured by them," Izquilla reminded her.

"True, but perhaps there is someone else out there," Kerna said, "maybe we can get you out. Or maybe we can bring back provisions."

Izquilla stood there. "Or maybe you will never return."

"We will try to return," Esilia said, "and we will do all we can in order to do so. We have food for eight days, if we ration it wisely. We will go out for four days. If we have not found anything, we will turn back then, and will return. We will contact you when we can. Keep the channel open."

"Very well," Izquilla said, embracing each of them in turn, "Good fortune to you."

As they took off, Verinold stirred. "They are going, Lemnestra. I hope they can find a way, for I fear we are all doomed."

=/\=

On the NX-01, Lili and Craig sat with Chef Slocum. "It's Lieutenant Reed's birthday today," Will noted, "Forty-second, I think. We'll make him a pineapple upside-down cake like we always do."

"Actually," Lili stated, "according to my logs, I started making him a smoked pineapple tart, and he apparently really loved it."

Will looked at her. "Are you sure?"

"Positive."

"All right," he sighed, "but if he doesn't like it, I reserve the right to say 'I told you so'."

"What about for the dinner?" Craig asked.

"Well, O'Day, you're the one who seems to have all the answers," Will's tone was a bit harsh, "So what are we making?"

Lili smiled a little, but inwardly she was in a bit of turmoil. Chef seemed to resent her inside knowledge. "We can make a Mexican spread, with grilled meats and vegetables. Let's slice up some avocados and whip up some fresh kiwi lime salsa, with a little shredded jack cheese and some sour cream on the side. Plus we'll have refried beans, chopped tomatoes and a little shredded lettuce with whole wheat tortillas."

"You know best," Will said defeatedly.

Craig got up to fiddle with the replicator. Lili went over to Will. "Are you angry with me?" she asked.

"Me?"

"Yeah, you, Chef. You're acting as if I'm encroaching on your turf."

"That's the only area where you don't get to lord it over me."

"I beg your pardon?"

"O'Day," he seemed to be trying to stay calm, "I read the logs, too. You got not just one, but two lovers, to," he let out a breath between his front teeth, "eat out of your hands, and answer to your beck and call. Do you know what happened to me?"