Chapter 4. Michael

The soft glow of the television illuminated the room around me. My eyes glued to the screen yet not taking in any of the images dancing around, the voices muffled as I zone out of the world. Only thinking about one thing; the wedding.

This wedding had consumed most of my time, thoughts and money. I felt like calling the whole thing off at times, even if it only rid me of stress for a few days. I knew Olivia wanted this, so I tried my hardest to keep up beat, although that was difficult since every issue we had, had been swept under the rug to deal with later. Or in her case, she vented everything out to her step brother...Ashton Fucking Irwin. I'd told Olivia a million times over that he was no good, he's weird around her, and I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.

I allowed myself to yawn multiple times before checking my watch, strapped firmly to my wrist; 02:35. Why had I let the time escape me once again? Most of my nights ended up like this, a few beers later and I would still be here till the sun came up.

"Mike?" I hear Olivia's sleep ridden voice call. She appears in the doorway, with the blanket wrapped around her body in order to shield her from the cool air.

"Hey" I reply back, my lips instantly forming a smile at her appearance. "What are you doing up?" I ask motioning for her to sit next to me.

"I was going to ask you the same question"  her eyes almost closed over as she nestled down on the sofa with me, snuggling into my side for warmth and affection.

"I can't sleep" sighing to myself before kissing the top of her head, smelling her shampoo. That familiar scent of coconut.

"Are you worrying about money again?" She asks, turning her head slightly to look at me.

"I never stop worrying about money babe" I try to let out a small chuckle but it never really came out. "I'm trying to think of a solution but I can't. I thought being engaged would be great, all the planning and doing things with you. But it's far from that, I'm stressed out over everything" again I let out a sigh. She hums in agreement.

"I know. Ashton had a solution" just the mention of his name made my blood begin to boil. "He said that we could just let mum pay for things. Shes loaded and is offering" I feel her shrug against me.

"I just don't want to pay her back"

"Just think of it as back payment for my childhood trauma" she giggles awkwardly. "She won't mind paying, as she said I'm her only daughter and will only get to do this once"

She looked content but something behind her beautiful eyes told a different story. It was a form of pain that couldn't be seen with a simple glance. I knew she was hurting, this business with her parents had been swept under the rug, and she hadn't confronted it all until now, until she had; because of with the wedding. Knowing that all of her family would be in one place together, after so long.

"Come here" I order her, getting to my feet, reaching my hand out for her to take.

"What are you doing?" She asks taking my hand regardless of what my request would be.

"Just trust me" entangling my fingers with hers, I escort her over to an area of the living room where there isn't too much furniture. The sound of our bare feet padding on the wooden floor.

The light of the tv the only thing illuminating the room, while some vintage music played on whatever channel I had been watching. Shadows of the living room decor made the room feel eerie, yet full of life. An indescribable mixture of emotions. Olivia's face a confused beauty as the pale blue glow enhanced her features.

"Clifford what are you playing at?" She asks as a smirk washes her features, almost anticipating what was to come next as I guide her hands to my neck, inviting her to wrap them around me as my hands make their way to her hips. The warmth of her body emitting through the thin material of her t-shirt.

"I just want to be with you, and not think about anything but us, our future isn't as important as what's happening right now" I smile down at her as we begin to sway and dance gently to the music that softly hummed from the TV.

"I love you" she murmured, yawning before resting her head on my chest.

"I love you too" my head now resting on hers, planting a small kiss against her hair. This girl meant the world to me, and I couldn't wait to spend the rest of my life with her.

• • •

Hi guys, I hope you enjoyed this update. It's a little shorter than most of the others, but I'm making Michael's chapters a little smaller. Only because it's an insight to his thoughts rather than a story development.

Please be sure to vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter 🌟

Until next time
Love Yasmin ❤️