ii | him | 3

february, 2017

it was strangely easy for him to let it all go, for him to exhale and tell every nasty thought he had about himself. it was shockingly therapeutic and he felt instantly better after a few sessions. his therapist was an indian man named rajeev who was infinitely calm and wonderful.

everything was falling in place, he'd started sleeping without nightmares and he smiled more often than not. there was a spring in his step whilst he walked and someone random had told him, "your cheerfulness is contagious, my man."

things were looking up. he was hanging out with elio and seeing her whenever she was free, their hangouts were strictly platonic but he couldn't help but admire how pretty she looked when she was concentrating on a film. he'd seen andrea as well who'd snagged a fit and thankfully, young sugar daddy who was apparently "the one" but she was busy travelling, living her extravagant life so he saw her rarely.

for once, he didn't feel the choke of loneliness and when he woke up in the mornings, it wasn't filled with dread.

***

april, 2019

"i'm freaking the fuck out, elio." he says, stress seeping into his voice.

"it's just a ring, dude. don't overthink it." elio popped a cheeto in his mouth, clearly being completely and utterly useless. should've called fucking andrea, he thinks.

"it needs to be fucking perfect. c'mon, you were in love with this girl, what kind of ring should i get her?" he's pacing on the streets after looking at three shops already, nothing seemed good enough.

"uh, alright, don't get anything too fancy." he pops another cheeto in and if elio wasn't a fucking tree, he'd have punched him in frustration. "she ain't about the boujee lifestyle."

"i had no idea you were this unhelpful."

"hey! i'm trying to assist you here. anyway, head north, there's this pretty place that sells good jewellery."

"fin-fucking-anlly, thank you." he says, thoroughly exasperated.

thankfully, the store is pretty and he's grateful that they were good options. elio finally stops being a cheeto-dust covered giant and helps pick out a ring.

he finally spots the perfect one and gestures towards it. he pays whilst elio simpers in the background, "dude, that's fucking perfect."

the ring in his pocket and his heart in his throat, he heads on home with a purpose.

***

it's up to elio now and no matter how clumsy the oaf was, he knew that elio had got his back. it was nearly 8:30 pm which meant she should be heading up to the terrace anytime now. he straightens up and ticks everything in his mental checklist, cross-checks if he still has the ring in his pocket.

"okay, so why are we heading up to the terrace? you know I have bad memories up here, elio!" he can hear her voice and he smiles.

the door opens and elio shoves her in. "good luck." he mouths to him and slams it shut.

"elio was so viole- oh my god, what the hell is this?" she looks so pretty with her hazel hair all loose and a pretty summer dress, small flower dug in her hair and she's such a proper little cutie when her mouth drops open in shock. "baby?" she squeaks.