Chapter 17: Exploding Christmas Roses

Magsimula sa umpisa

***

“Earth to Titania!”

I felt the wind of something in front of me and when my vision cleared I saw a hand waving in front of my face. I shook my head and took my hand off of Dr. Fate’s helmet. A couple of seconds later he took the helmet off and Kaldur’s face became visible once more.

Wally ran up to him, “Nabu let you go?”

“He almost did not, but somehow Titania was very convincing.” Kaldur said.

In a second all eyes were on me and I just shuffled out of the way. I didn’t feel like explaining, plus, Where’s the fun in that?

I walked off and found  Wally. Before he could say anything I slapped him in the head.

“Really Wal? How are you going to explain this to your parents?” I said pointing at his arm. He shrugged

“They know, but honestly I doubt they would give it a second thought if I told them I tripped while running too fast.” He said.

I face-palmed and walked away, sometimes I wonder if we actually are related by blood and we don’t know it. Honestly, before the whole Flux thing, I was probably the clumsiest person I knew.

I managed to fall off of some study cabin stairs, three times. I even managed to punch someone in the eye when I wanted to give them a fistbump. I even got good at falling after a while.

You see, a person will always be clumsy, but the real thing you can improve on is reflexes. When I fall I always manage to catch myself and I never end up hurt.

I once even half-summersaulted off the stairs once and managed to use my big school bag as a cushion by quickly sliding it under me as I fell. But those who are normally graceful don’t adapt like that and when they do fall, they get hurt pretty badly.

When Barbara managed to fall off the stairs once, she stretched her ligaments and had to wear a weird hand cast thing for two weeks. Now that I think about it, they probably should have put a railing up on those stairs. Even the teacher fell down once.

I shook my head from the random thoughts and headed to Dick, “Hey, you okay?” I asked.

“Fine, just some minor bruising. We should really head home, it’s already 3 am.” He said looking at his watch. I looked at the others and an idea popped into my head.

“Why don’t we fly? I have semi-super strength and my wings need to be stretched.” I said.

He looked at me with a confused face, “We are in another country, how do you expect us to fly all the way home?”

“You’ll see.” I said with a smirk.

Hegaro!” I shouted and I aimed my hands at Dick and focused hard. I needed to get this right.

Soon a light blue bubble appeared around him and he looked around confused. I knew that I still couldn’t complete the circle yet so I put a hole in the roof of the bubble so that he could see the night sky.

I summoned some battle chains and managed to tie the bubble to my waist.

“Uh, Fae, What exactly are you doing?” He asked. I scoffed.

“It’s not like you could sit on my back, otherwise my wings would slap you in the face. This way you can see the sky and I don’t have to worry about you falling off.” I said.

I summoned my wings and slowly rose into the air. I saw Dick’s face and I already knew he was uneasy about this.

Remember that death wish of a motor bike ride? Yeah, it’s time for payback. Without another word, I rose into the night sky and in a second burst into speed and broke one or two sound barriers.

All I could hear besides my laughter was the high pitched screams of Robin.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!”

***

Dick’s P.O.V

“Never again.” I huffed and continued to hug the cool pavement ground of our front door step. It had taken us only 20 minutes to get here. We were in a country thousands of miles away and we got here in 20 minutes. And she says my driving is bad.

Fae rolled her eyes and opened the door. After a second I crawled in after her.

I went into my room and collapsed onto my bed in exhaustion. It was really early, but I doubt I would sleep easily tonight. I still had a lot of adrenaline running through my system.

I just stared at the ceiling till I heard a knock on the door.

“Come in.” I absent-mindedly said.

I heard the door open and Fae walking in with two steaming cups of hot chocolate.

“Figured you wouldn’t sleep and neither could I so I brought this.” She said with a smile. She was in her normal form, something I didn’t really see very often, so I was happy to see her familiar smile. She came and sat next to me and handed me my cup as we both stared at the ceiling together. A question drifted past my mind and I asked her.

“Mind telling me why Joker looked like he had seen a banshee when you showed up?” I asked.

“Hey, just because you first saw me at the warehouse, doesn’t mean that was my first mission. I did a couple of small stuff here and there, stopped a robbery or fire. I eventually ended up meeting the Joker at one point and in the end he got a couple of scars and I got a new found hatred for clowns.” She said. I looked at her and her Hazel eyes stared back at me.

We sat in silence for a bit. No one said a word. It was perfect. Times like these, I think of how many things we missed doing over the last couple of years.

Suddenly we were much closer than I remember. She was right in front of me and stared on at me with those amazing warm eyes. I already knew I did, but I knew I loved her at this moment.

We were both so close to one another. I felt myself consciously lean forward and I saw us coming closer. My heart was speeding up and I didn’t really know what to do in this moment.

I lingered a second too late and she realized how close we were and a bright blush covered her cheeks. She seemed flustered and kissed me on the cheek before getting up and heading to the door.

“Goodnight Dick.” She said looking down, and left the room.

The only thought going through my mind was regret of not acting fast enough.

So close.

A/n: Surprise! I updated early. One of my close friends begged me to post and I worked hard to finish it today. I know it's frustrating watching Fae and Dick, but soon it will all change.

Thanks for reading

Lots of love

Ivy