Chapter 25: Triumph

Start from the beginning

In the midst of the celebratory chaos, my mom—overwhelmed with pride and joy—began shedding tears of happiness. "Look at our boy go!" She cried out. My dad instinctively wrapped his arm around her, offering quiet comfort as they watched Joey with nothing but happiness.

Watching the two of them, I felt a swell of emotion. A quiet hope bloomed within me. I hope Coen and I will have a love like that.

As the last notes of the graduation ceremony echoed, numerous families filed out of the auditorium, eager to reunite with their children and siblings. Outside, Macy was the first to spot him in the crowd, his cap still perched proudly on his head.

"Joey!" She yelled, taking off in her white sandals in his direction. At the sound of her voice, he turned around, catching her in his arms as she ran up to him. Without hesitation, the rest of us quickly made our way over, enveloping him in a collective hug.

"You actually are smart. I never would've guessed." Tyrone joked, earning a playful headlock from Joey. Wesley playfully pushed the two of them, offering Joey the bouquet of flowers we purchased before we came.

He lifted them to his face, taking a long sniff of the fragrant roses. "Thanks, guys. I'm so happy you all are here." Joey's eyes lit up as he spotted a friend in the crowd. Eager to share the moment, he approached, arm draping around his friend's shoulders.

"Hey, everyone, this is Mark. We met in one of my classes," Joey announced, a wide grin on his face. Mark nodded, offering a friendly greeting to all of us.

A voice calling Mark's name interrupted the introductions. His family beckoned him for a round of photos, and with a warm smile, he excused himself. However, before departing, he turned back to Joey."

"Hey, Joey, good luck with that EMT job back home. Your friends and family here are lucky to have you. Don't be a stranger!"

The words lingered in the air as Mark walked away, leaving Joey momentarily speechless. No one knows except me. Shit.

"What EMT job? Are you getting experience before med school? Smart thinking, son." Dad grinned, his hand warmly pressed onto Joey's shoulder. Mom, with a wisdom only mothers possess, instantly sensed something amiss. Maybe it was motherly instinct or her uncanny ability to read Joey's every expression, but whatever it was, she knew.

"You're not going to medical school, are you?" My mother spoke up, her voice gentle. My father stepped back, confusion etched on his face as he looked between Joey and my mom.

Hesitation lingered in Joey's response, and his eyes sought me out for support.

My dad noticed the unspoken exchange, ushering the four of us away from the bustling crowd. "Joey, what's going on?" he asked, a mix of concern and confusion in his tone.

Taking a deep breath, I decided to initiate the conversation. "Mom, Dad, there's something Joey's been reluctant to share. He's opened up to me about it, but I think he's scared."

The concern etched on my parents' faces mirrored Joey's apprehension. This was it. He couldn't hide it anymore.

Joey took a deep breath, his heart probably pounding as he prepared to share his truth with our parents. The air hung heavy with anticipation as he looked into their eyes, filled with a mixture of apprehension and determination.

"I'm not going to medical school." Mom and Dad stood, surprised but timid and unsure of how to respond. "I appreciate everything you guys have done for me but college, especially pre-med, has taken a toll on me. It destroyed my mental health, and I started feeling empty."

My mom perked up, her eyes beginning to well with tears which quickly triggered Joey to do the same. "Empty? What do you mean?"

"I mean, I was on this path because I thought it was what I wanted, what I should do. But it wasn't making me happy. It felt like I was losing myself. I felt lost and like nothing was working out for me. I felt guilty for wasting time. But once I got an EMT job, it was like a breath of fresh air. Every day was different and I felt alive again. I could go home and be with you guys again."

He took a deep breath, his fingers trembling as he waited for our parents' reply. I joined Joey, intertwining our fingers together for support. My dad stood still, his eyebrows furrowed in surprise.

"Why were you scared to tell me that?" He asked, connecting his gaze. Joey hesitated, a soft tear falling down his cheek. "I felt like I was disappointing you."

My father's shoulders dropped as he exchanged a glance with Mom. She stepped back, letting him take the reins. "Joey. You think your deciding not to be a doctor was going to disappoint me?" Joey wiped at his eye and shrugged his shoulders solemnly. "I guess. I mean, since I was young and first showed interest in medicine, you've been so excited at the idea of me being a doctor and working beside you at the hospital. And now that I've destroyed that dream I—"

"You can't take the weight of my hopes and attempt to carry them as your own, son. Would working beside you as a doctor be awesome, yes! Will seeing the ambulance pull up, and you hop out also be awesome, absolutely. You could decide to be a chef and I'd be at your restaurant every day."

Joey softly smiled as our dad stepped closer. "Have I made you feel like I'd be disappointed in you?" He asked hesitatingly. Joey quickly shook his head no. "It was more of an internal pressure. The two of you have given me this life. Without you guys, I don't know where I would be. I guess I feel like I owe you."

At the words "owe you" my dad softened. His eyes welled up in sadness. "Joey," he cupped his face in his hands and continued to speak.

"Love is not transactional. Love does not require it to be reciprocated. We love you. Not because we expected love in return. Not because we expected gratitude or subservient children. We didn't expect anything except a child who deserved to be loved. And you, kiddo, are loved. Permanently. You are intelligent. You are creative, ambitious, adventurous, gentle, and kind. You are a light through the darkness. And most importantly, you are my son. And that is all you ever have to be."