Chapter 33: Creed

Later, after the rain finally broke, Adam and I made our way back down the shoreline. This time, his arm was around me, holding me to him, and my arm curled around his waist, holding him tightly. We walked slowly, never wanting the night to end.

After a long, comfortable silence, I sighed. “What are we going to do?”

He was quiet. I knew he knew what I meant. What were we going to do, now that we’d crossed the line we said we wouldn’t? Where did that put us? It took him a little while to answer. “We always cared about each other,” he said softly. “We just need to be especially discreet on set now, and we’ve got to make sure we stay out of the public eye as much as possible.”

“Maybe it’d be best if I just left the competition,” I tried. “I don’t want to cause a riot—”

“No,” Adam said sternly. “You’re staying. Regardless of our feelings, you’re a crazy talented singer. This is your shot, and you deserve it just as much as the next person.”

“You just want to spend more time with me,” I joked, nudging him slightly in the ribs.

“What can I say, our forbidden affair is a total turn on,” he laughed back. “But I’m serious. You’re not leaving the Voice. You’re going to lives, and you’re going to steal the hearts of millions.”

I sighed. “I need a song first.”

“You don’t need to really stress about that,” Adam said. “We’ll come up with something.”

“No, we do need to stress. I need something great.”

“Well, your blind audition really shined when you picked a 90s song. Maybe go with another one of those.”

“A 90s song,” I mused, thinking on it. “So, like, Creed or Bon Jovi.”

Adam laughed. “God, imagine you doing Creed. Except, like, beautifully, on a piano or something. That’d be amazing.”

I looked at him. “That’s actually not crazy sounding,” I said, wheels churning in my head. “It’d be kind of fun to take a well-known, hard core 90s rock song and turn it into a piano ballad.”

“Why not, then?” Adam said, his hand warm against the skin of my arm. “If anyone can pull it off, it’d be you.”

I pondered it for the moment, pilfering through my mental catalogue of 90s hits. “Creed, ‘One Last Breath.’ Everyone knows it, but nobody’s ever really broken it down or anything as far as I know.”

“That just might be the one,” he said, grinning and then bending down to place a gentle kiss on the top of my head. “But we don’t need to worry about that right now.”

“Well, then, what do we need to worry about?” I asked, closing my eyes for just a moment and sinking into his embrace.

“Nothing,” Adam said. “We have absolutely nothing to worry about.”

“You don’t,” I sighed. “I have to write that statement tomorrow.”

“Right,” Adam said, and I was surprised to find his lips at my head, gently moving my hair when he spoke. “It won’t take too long, and you’ll feel better afterwards. It’s the last you have to do, right?”

“I think so,” I replied. “I don’t think they need me in court. The statement and his confession should be enough.”

“I’m ready for him to be gone,” Adam said gruffly.

I laughed. “Trust me, so am I. But I’m glad that in the mean time, I have some really awesome distractions.”

“Flattery will get you everywhere,” Adam said lightly.

I laughed again. “God, I never want to leave this place,” I said, looking at the dark ocean around me and trying to freeze the memory in my mind forever.

“We don’t have to,” Adam said. “We can stay here longer, if you want.”

I shook my head. “It’s late, and I need to be conscious tomorrow morning.”

We arrived back at the parking lot, and it struck me I was going to need a cab to get back to the hotel. I sighed, forcing myself to detach myself from Adam. “I had…the best time,” I said, looking straight into his eyes. “I’m glad I came tonight.”

“Me too,” he replied. “Let me take you back to your hotel.”

“No, no, it’s fine,” I said. “I’ve got it. But thanks.”

“At least let me see you sometime tomorrow, after you’re done at the station,” he said, looking concerned in the most endearing way possible.

“I think I can. Probably later, though. My dad wants to take me out to dinner to see how I’m doing.” I put the last part of my sentence in air quotes while rolling my eyes. “Basically, he wants to make sure I’m not about to go off the deep end with the stress of Zane, my mom, and the show.”

“That’s good, though,” Adam said, grinning. “I’m glad you’ve got a dad that cares so much.”

The corner of my mouth lifted slightly. “Me too, actually. Gracie and I are lucky to have him.”

“I wouldn’t mind meeting your sister,” Adam said nonchalantly. “You talk so highly of her.”

I laughed. “Yeah, we might have to wait a bit for that. She’d probably freak out, majorly. I mean, she’s actually really into old music, more so than the usual eighteen-year-old, so she probably wouldn’t be the craziest fan you’ve ever seen, but she’s also not immune to the whole celebrity crush thing.”

“Still,” Adam said, looking me in the eyes. “Sometime, I’d like to meet her.”

I smiled. “Well, maybe someday you can.” I glanced at my phone and sighed. “But, for now, I really need to go.”

Adam grabbed my hands, pulling me close against him, my heartbeat escalating to heights they hadn’t reached in years. We were so close that I could feel his heart beating, too. “Not just yet.”

I closed my eyes as his lips found mine, and my arms wrapped around his neck as his arms curled around my waist and pulled me closer to him. Our lips moved in perfect synchronization, as if we’d been kissing each other for years and not hours. When the kiss deepened and I realized my fingers had intertwined themselves in his hair while he had grabbed my dress into bunches in his fists, I knew I had to stop it or no one ever would.

I slowed the kiss to a stop and then moved my lips away, my breathing ragged. “I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of that,” I whispered breathlessly.

“I know I won’t,” Adam replied, equally out of breath.

I unlocked my arms from his neck. “Alright, hotshot,” I laughed, my breathing still irregular. It crossed my mind that if I was going to be kissing Adam like this more often, I was going to need to get in better shape. “I really have to go.”

“I know,” he said, reluctantly letting go of me and taking a step back. “I’ll get in touch and we’ll find out a time to get together tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay,” I agreed. “Tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow,” he reiterated, winking at me once before I turned around and found a cab to hail.

By the time I’d gotten one to pull over, I looked behind me, and he was gone.

I know this one's a bit short, but it's all I had time for this week. More to come soon, pinky swear! ~ Lacey :)