Chapter 39: Chemistry

In what felt like no time at all, it was the next night, and it was time for eliminations.

For some reason, this was far more nerve-wracking than the three other times I’d been on stage. For the Blinds it had been pretty do or die, and I had succeeded within moments of my song starting so it hadn’t been that crazy. For the Battles and Knockouts, I didn’t have to wait too long and let my anxiety get the best of me—my success or failure was determined almost immediately by the coaches. But now, I’d had a whole night to sleep on it and think about it, and now I was as anxious as I’d ever been on the show.

I shouldn’t have been nervous. To be honest, things were really looking good for me. My recording of “One Last Breath” had made it to seventeen on iTunes, miles higher than anyone else had made it. But still, who knew? Maybe voters voted differently than the people who bought the music.

I was standing on stage at the beginning of the show, wearing a simple, short white skirt and a sparkly turquoise tank top with matching turquoise heels. My hair was braided down the side, and I felt just as pretty as I ever had.

I stood where I’d been blocked out to stand, in between Mavis and Mike Griggs. Luckily, we weren’t the first team to be announced. The first team to be culled was Team Shakira. The top two consisted of a rocker and a shy but really sweet sixteen-year-old girl named Henrietta. Both walked down after they were announced and hugged Shakira before walking off the stage. After a somewhat dramatic deliberation, Shakira unsurprisingly decided to keep the Latina pop singer, Andrea Cruz, on her team as her third contestant.

Next, it was us. Carson had us line up center stage, and he announced us all. Then, as things quieted down, he pulled out his envelope. “And the first singer to definitely be staying on Team Adam and moving on to the Top 12 is…Analeigh Taylor!”

I could practically feel cameras zoom in on me and lights flashing in my direction as Mavis attacked me with a hug and a huge smile found its way onto my face. The crowd cheered as I made my way down to Adam’s chair and hugged him, trying not to make it look like something I really enjoyed doing. Still, it was maybe a second too long, and I quickly pushed myself away from him and scurried off stage.

I stood in the wings as everyone regrouped and Carson called out the second name. Please be Mavis, please be Mavis, please be Mavis…. “Evan Matheson!”

My heart dropped out of my chest. Mavis had to be voted through, she had to be. Suddenly I was regretting not mentioning her as much to Adam.

Evan joined me off stage and Mavis, Mike, and Zack and Paige stood center stage, looking nervous, and Carson moved them together. “And now, it’s Adam’s choice.”

Adam looked seriously conflicted, and this time, his confliction made sense. Mike was definitely going home, but Mavis and Zack and Paige were good singers and had done fairly well. It was a total toss-up. Adam leaned forward in his chair. “Okay, this is hard. This really is. Mike, in the short time I’ve had to work with you, I’ve seen your passion and drive for this industry. Mavis, your range is incredible, and you emote so so well, and while I think the safer song choice might have hurt you a little this week I think that we all know that you’re a total force to be reckoned with. And Zack and Paige, you’re so unique, and your sound is so different from anyone else’s, you really stand to make a mark on the music world.” There was a pause. “But…but I have to go with my gut. I do.  And my gut says…my gut says… Mavis.”

Mavis jumped, clearly surprised, and I started jumping up and down in excitement as Evan laughed beside me. “Guess you and your bestie live to see another day.”

I grinned at him. “Guess we do.” And then Mavis rushed backstage and enveloped me in a huge hug.

“We did it!” she screamed. “We did it!”