Chapter 10: Melodramatic

The moment the door swung shut Adam opened his mouth. “You don’t have a place to stay tonight, do you?”

I turned, glaring. “Of course I have a place. Why would you say that?”

“Because you dated this guy for years, and chances are he knows every person you’d be staying over with. Not to mention when your dad asked it was so obvious you were lying.”

“It’s not a big deal. He’s not coming back here tonight, and my dad’s overreacting.”

“He’s not overreacting. If he knew everything….”

“He never needs to,” I sighed. “Why do that to him?”

“Then give him the peace of mind that he needs. Don’t stay here tonight.”

I gave Adam a wry grin. “We just went over this. Nowhere to go. I’d stay with my dad but Gracie still lives with him, and that would just be putting her in danger, if there really is a danger to be afraid of.”

“There’s got to be somewhere. Your mom?”

I let out a dry, utterly humorless laugh. “That’d probably do the trick. I bet it’d be hard for Zane to get to me behind bars.”

For the first time that night, Adam looked genuinely shocked. “I…I’m sorry.”

I waved him off. “Don’t be. Really. It’s been like that since I was twelve.”

“No, really, I—”

“Please, don’t. Really, it’s fine.”

He nodded, but this time he kept eye contact with me, as if trying to make a decision while studying me. “Stay at my place.”

My eyes widened. “No way in hell,” I shot back.

“I’ve got more rooms than I’ll ever use,” he tried.

“Not the point,” I argued. “If someone were to see me…I’m sure you’d be breaking something in your contract with the show, and I wouldn’t have an ounce of privacy…It’s just not worth it.”

Adam’s mouth was downturned. “I’ve got to say, that’s probably the first time anyone’s ever refused an invitation to my home.”

“Sorry to disappoint.”

“Not at all,” Adam said. “I have another idea.”

“What’s that?” I asked, walking over to my couch and sitting down, finding it impossible to put any more weight on my foot.

“Let me pay for a hotel room for you, until you can figure all of this out.”

I looked at him, shocked. “No, Adam, that’s not necessary—”

“Remember? I’m a famous singer. I can afford to put you up in a nice hotel for a while. It’s literally the least I can do.”

“I just…I can’t accept that, Adam. It’s too much.”

He rolled his eyes. “It’s not even close to enough. And I’m not taking no for an answer.”

I stared at him for a moment. “Why? You don’t owe me anything. If anything, I owe you."

There went the eye roll again. "What could you possibly owe me?"

"My life, for starters.”

“Your life? Let’s not get melodramatic here—”

“It’s true,” I argued. “If you hadn’t shown up when Zane…you know…who knows what would’ve happened.”

Adam sat down next to me, first removing a newspaper that had been strewn on that side of the couch. “He would’ve hurt you, and it would have been bad,” he said carefully. “And that’s exactly what could happen for real if you keep trying to avoid the real issue and don’t go somewhere safe.”

I looked over at him, trying not to pay attention to the fact that our faces were incredibly close to each others’. I looked down, afraid to focus on him. “I don’t know what to say,” I mumbled, wrestling with my hands in my lap.

He leaned forward, and for a brief moment my heart jolted with adrenaline as I thought he was trying to kiss me. Of course, that wasn’t the case, which I realized when he whispered into my ear, “You say yes.” He pulled back and my heartbeat slowed again, and I tried to forget about its erratic pulsing.

“Okay,” I said, looking at him. “You win. A hotel it is.”

“Good,” he said, putting a hand on my shoulder for a moment and then standing up. “Let’s pack you a bag and we’ll be on our way.”

I stood up, quickly starting away from him. “Not necessary. I can make my own bag. Please make yourself at home in this shithole, though.”

He laughed and nodded, and I turned away and made it to my room as quickly as possible. I grabbed a duffle bag and tossed some outfits and the basic shower necessities into it. Then I remembered that I had to be on camera for The Voice the next day, and I spent the next ten minutes carefully picking the outfit, jewelry, hair, and makeup items I’d need to prepare myself. Once I was done, I reemerged from my room with my duffle, my laptop bag, and my iPod jammed into my front pocket.

“Okay,” I announced breathlessly. “I’m ready to go.”