Chapter 15: Headlights

I woke up to a beam of light blinding my eyes.

I squinted, rolling over and pressing my head into the pillow. After a moment, though, I opened my eyes and remembered where I was. I bolted upright in bed, startled at the change of scenery. I wasn’t home, because home was trashed. I was at the Four Seasons.

With Adam Levine.

With that in mind, I threw the covers off of me, and despite the pain slamming though my head and my whole body, I jumped out of bed and raced to the bathroom. I had to make myself presentable before he saw me, a mess of less-than-sexy bedhead and bruises.

Without even thinking, I burst through the door, and was very surprised to see the whole room was full of steam. And the moment I realized I’d just made a huge mistake, I saw Adam standing there, a towel wrapped around his waist, his hair and body damp, his toothbrush frozen in his mouth as I stared at him like a deer in headlights. Even though it was only a moment, I was able to take in everything about the scene in front of me—Adam’s muscled, tattooed torso, the careless swept aside wet hair, the way my heart was beating ten times faster than it usually did, the look of surprise and amusement on his face.

“Oh, shit,” I practically squeaked, turning around quickly and nearly running into the door I’d walked through on the way in. “Sorry,” I said as I exited the room.

I walked back into the bedroom, looking at myself in the mirrored closet door. I had a serious case of bed head, which I tried to flatten out a bit, and my T-shirt was falling down one shoulder, revealing a decent amount of the red bralette I was wearing. I pulled the sleeve back up, grabbed a hair tie, and quickly pulled my hair into a relatively neat ponytail. I looked closer, and I realized my black eye had gotten pretty bad. Luckily my eyes looked about the same size, but the coloration was pretty rough.

Two minutes later, the door to the bathroom opened and Adam walked out, wearing washed out jeans, a black T-shirt, and a smug grin. “Morning, sunshine.”

I had been sifting through my bag, trying to find my phone, but after seeing Adam I suddenly remembered he’d tossed it out the window the night before. “I’m sorry,” I said again. “I didn’t realize—”

“You should really stop apologizing for things that you don’t need to be sorry before,” he said, cutting me off. “I mean, I’m not sorry for you running in like that.”

“Well, I am,” I said shortly, arms crossing in front of my chest.

The corner of his mouth twitched upwards. “Well, then, it’s only fair you let me return the favor.”

At that, I grinned. “In your dreams, Levine. In your dreams.”

He walked over to me, and I tried not to think too hard about the fact that we were in a hotel room three feet from a giant king sized bed. “Cute pajamas,” he commented.

“I wasn’t really thinking you’d be here when I made my wardrobe decisions,” I defended.

“Nah, Coldplay’s cool,” he said, gesturing towards my shirt. Then his eyes moved to my face. “That black eye looks pretty rough,” he continued.

“Could be worse,” I sighed. “Zane hits like a little bitch.”

Adam belted out a laugh, a big, genuine one that immediately made me smile. “Man,” he said. “Takes a lot to knock you down for good, doesn’t it?”

“That’s the hope,” I said.

“Well, my guess is you’ll be able to cover the worst of it with makeup. But I’m sure Blake will notice something.”

I nodded. “Speaking of, I need to get ready. I have to be over there in a few hours. It's meet the Battle opponent day. And then Battle prep starts in a week.”

Adam nodded. “And I need to be there…,” he glanced at his phone. “Thirty minutes ago.”

My eyes widened. “Oh, gosh. Go. I’m sorry if I caused you to be late in any way.”

He shook his head before I was even done speaking. “My contract says I have to be in attendance at all designated Voice events. It said nothing about showing up on time.”

“I don’t want to be the reason that people get mad at you,” I reasoned.

“You worry too much,” Adam dismissed.

“And you don’t worry enough,” I retorted. “So I have to produce more worry to compensate.”

“Now you’re just being ridiculous,” Adam said, grinning.

“And you’re wasting time,” I said, trying hard not to smile back. “Just go, okay? It’s probably for the best that we leave at different times anyway. So we don’t draw attention.”

Adam looked at me. “I’m glad I got to meet you, Analeigh. Or, um, re-meet you. Even though it was under shitty circumstances.”

I smiled at him. “I’m glad, too.”

He grabbed his hoodie and tucked his phone into his pocket, and I didn’t realize it but I sort of followed him as he moved, like we were magnetized. “I guess I’ll get going then,” he said once he had everything, making his way back over to me. “I’ll make sure that new phone gets to you as soon as possible. And I’ll keep paying for this hotel room until you either leave or get moved into one hotel with the other contestants.”

“Thank you,” I replied, still shocked at his generosity.

“No. Thank you,” Adam said. “It’s been a long time since I’ve met someone who makes me want to do nice things for them. And you do.”

I tensed as he leaned forward, and then relaxed as his lips softly grazed my cheek. When he lifted his head away, for a moment I thought he was going to kiss me for real. But then I saw him glance at my black eye, and he seemed to think again.

“Bye,” I said weakly.

He blinked, looking like my words had snapped him out of some daze. “Yeah. Bye.” He checked quickly to make sure he had all of his things, and then as if he suddenly cared a lot about being late, he rushed out the door of the hotel.

I stared at it for a moment before realizing I was all alone in this giant hotel room, and I had just been kissed on the cheek by Adam Levine.

~~~~

Thanks for all of the great comments. You're support means the world to me. Some fun stuff coming up soon! Don't forget to comment and vote if you really liked it! ~ Lacey :)