Chapter 8 (Samantha)

What do you think of the book cover I did?!?!? :)

************************

Chapter 8

(Samantha)

          "I'm nervous." I admitted as I drove Kenzie home. After she got out, I would head to Kyle's and...just thinking about it made me sick to my stomach. I was a natural perfectionist and how could I be good at something I had no practice at? The impending embarrassment made me blush.

          "Don't be. It isn't a big deal." Kenzie said. It did not soothe me at all.

          "What if I'm really bad?" I offer. Let's see what she gives me for a solution to that.

          "Girl, look at you. It doesn't matter if you suck, you're gorgeous. Pretty girls don't have to try as hard as us thicker, more frightening-looking girls." As shallow as it may be, I enjoyed the compliment. "You don't have to do much anyway-he likes to do most of the work."

          I look at her-what else could I do? Only one thing came to my lips. "How do you know?" 

          I saw the panic on her face before she cooled it into that mask free of emotion that I knew all too well. "He seems like that kind of guy, you know?"

          "Right." I stated. I tried to put it out of my mind, but thoughts nagged at me to look into it. Kenzie wouldn't have done anything to betray me though...right? Suddenly, I was not so sure. After all, a person can change in the drop of a hat. It doesn't matter how long you've known each other-backstabbing can happen anytime.

          As soon as I pulled into Mackenzie's driveway, she jumped out like her seat was on fire. "Don't be such an eager beaver!" I teased. She smiled apologetically at me before running indoors. Kenzie was such a mystery sometimes. She lived in the same happy-looking home she did when she was younger. I wondered if her parents still hit her. I wondered what else might be going on behind those closed doors...the endless possibilities scared me.

          I did not want to continue to be parked here, so I backed up and drove slower than needed. I went five miles under the speed limit the entire way. I knew it should not, but the idea of sex with Kyle frightened me. He had had so many girls under his belt-literally-and I had one measly, teenage, drunk, fail. I was intimidated. Would he laugh at me for freaking out-oh, no doubt. Kyle was a prick like that. I hoped that I would not humiliate myself too badly.

          I parked in Kyle's driveway at nine thirty. I stepped up the stairs and rung the doorbell slowly. Being in Kyle's neighborhood made me uncomfortable. His parents paid for him to have this trailer, because they did not want him in their house or on the streets. Creepers and druggies were everywhere. I hated it. "Come in!" He shouted from inside.

          I stepped inside. The house looked as it usually did-small, smelly, and messy. Nice to know our first time would be around old socks and moldy pizza; how romantic. "You didn't clean up." I noted.

          "Didn't have time." he grumbled. Kyle gathered me into his arms and kissed me. "Did you come over here to act like my mom?"

          "Would you like that?" I winked.

          Kyle snorted. "Put on a hundred pounds and start chain smoking. Bitch to me about how my life is crap. That'd sure turn me on."

          "I'll remember that."

          He kissed me again and we set off. The adventure was about to begin

*****

          We were a mess of hands, arms, legs, lips, and other parts. The whole process made me feel like I was riding a merry-go-round super fast. I remember no details of the night. There was pain, there was passion, and there was pleasure.

          But was there love?

*****

          "Good morning, love." I whispered in his ear the following morning. He stirred, but did not wake. I kissed his forehead.

          "Hmm?" Kyle groaned. "Oh, hi."

          "Hey." I smiled. He was so cute when he just woke up. "I had a lovely time last night." I told him.

          "Me too." He agreed. He sat up and stretched, his muscles apparent under his skin. I realized that this was mine. This perfect, gorgeous human being was mine for the keeping. He could be a handful, but I wanted to take on the challenge of it. I wondered if he thought the same thing about me.

          "Want me to make you some breakfast?" I asked, tussling his hair.

          "What time is it?"

          "Ten?"

          Kyle cursed and jumped out of bed. He pulled on some sweatpants that had been flung across the room. "What are you doing?" I demanded as he pulled my by the wrist out of bed. I grabbed the blanket to keep from exposing myself (not that it really mattered).

          "Get dressed!" He barked.

          His sudden rush to get me out the door both hurt and infuriated me. After the great night we shared together he was kicking me out? What a jerk! "Why?" I cried.

          "I have work. I'm late. You've just got to go!" he shouted, flinging my shirt at me. "Hurry it up!" It was hard to dress under his gaze and pressure to go faster. When I finally finished he escorted me to the door and pushed me outside. "Bye, I'll call you later."

          I got into my car, alone and shocked. Why did he kick me out? Was it something I said; something I did?  The most important question was one which never failed to terrify me. The worry shook me to the very core. I found it hard to drive safely. Was our relationship on the rocks again? I hoped not.

          It wasn't until later on that I realized that Kyle didn't even have a job to go to.