Chapter 45 Unfamiliar face

Start from the beginning

"She's special," the woman said and she narrowed her eyes. "Now, if you are finished wasting my time, I'll need Mrs. Fairbrook as well."

The man shuffled off, grumbling under his breath. Mischa approached with a bit of respect for the no-nonsense woman. She could still have unfavourable intentions though. Mischa wondered if this change in policy had anything to do with her future as one of their colony's child-bearing queens, but it was odd she wasn't the only one getting special treatment. The department employed approximately twenty individuals in a facility of hundreds. The odds just didn't support her suspicion.

The medical worker handed Mischa a small cup with three, colored pills as well as a cup of water. Another woman approached, dark hair held back in a braid as firm as her facial expression. The security officer attached to her side didn't help the mood.

"You will tie me down and force those down my throat before I take them willingly."

The security guard, likely happy for any excuse, grabbed the woman firmly by the shoulder and shoved his face in front of hers. "As much of a pleasure as that would be -- you medicine hating witchdoctor -- these are mandatory. There's been an outbreak and we need to contain it."

"You want us out at the surface with an outbreak present? Has the facility been leaching their experimental toxins into the waters or have you finally encountered a substance you cannot control?" The agricultural worker asked.

"You twenty are an acceptable risk. People need to eat."

"It won't kill you, just make you violently ill for the better part of a month," the woman in the lab coat added.

"Charming, the whole group of you," said the disgruntled woman. She took the cup of pills and water and walked back over to the equipment. "Red, are you coming?"

Mischa raised an eyebrow and looked at the woman. She could only imagine that the softest look yet to grace this woman's face was meant for her. "Yeah, thanks for these," Mischa muttered to the medical worker as she walked off.

She sat down on a wooden bench across from the dark-haired woman and placed the paper cup of pills in front of her.

"Mischa Hues, I presume."

Mischa's eyebrows raised as she assessed the woman. Small dark circles stood out under her eyes while the rest of her face looked gaunt. It was plausible that word had gotten around she had joined this department and her name was common knowledge.

"I'm Amelia. I need you to carefully slip those pills up your sleeve without drawing attention to yourself."

Mischa tried to keep her face neutral as she spoke, not to give anything away. Strangers rarely walked up to her.

"I'm not sure I want to take that chance."

She didn't need to compromise her health before she and Quinton planned their escape.

"There's no toxin. They're fertility drugs that they're slipping us. If I'm not mistaken, they are likely calming agents to relax us before the meeting tomorrow."

"The meeting?"

"Come on, girl, you're smarter than that. Finding the list of the six of us candidates was easier than bribing a politician. Now raise that silly, empty little cup and let's toast. To our right to choose and fight an unjust system." Amelia took care to keep her voice low and kept the movement of her lips minimal not avoid betraying her meaning.

Mischa slipped the pills into her palm and brought the paper cup to her lips, before chasing it with the water. She fingered the three pills presently resting between her fingertips.