19

Nineteen

2 years ago

"son, I'm tired," my father said leaning back in his office chair. Mom suggested I bring dinner to his office tonight since he was working on a really important project.

"have a rest then dad, I'm sure you can carry on in the morning" I said standing up.

My father grabbed my arm "no, that's not what I meant Leon. I'm tired with fighting you on this." my eyes moved up to stare at his expression. Did he really mean what I think he did.

"ever since you told me about her, I have fought you in every turn, but I see how happy you are with Charlize and I can no longer gather the strength to fight you" I listened carefully, scared that I would miss anything.

For years dad has hated my relationship with Charlize. He refused to allow me to have a girlfriend and when I got with Liz he would try and get me to go on dates with women that weren't Liz.

He wanted a career driven woman by my side.

"I really love her dad" I said sitting down. He rounded his desk placing a hand on my shoulder. "I know Leon"

I walked out his office with a giant smile on my face. How could I not when my dad gave his full blessing for me to be with her.

Perfect timing too since it's our anniversary tonight. Waking up this morning I was surprised to see that she had already left for work.

She probably was planning something for later.

I went into the office and worked on a project. My father owned this company, but I was one of the managers and had a good team.

I spotted a coffee already on my desk.

"extra sugar this morning, we've got a big day ahead" Emily said walking into the room. Emily was a new partner for the company, and she was a favourite of my father.

"you know I have an assistant to do this for me "I said smiling. I took a few sips groaning at the sweet taste.

I felt her hand on my shoulder "I know but I like doing things for you" she smiles sweetly at me.

Oh boy.

I wasn't blind to what she wanted. Emily liked me she made that clear. She was a gorgeous blonde that had class, brains and beauty. Her confidence was something I wasn't used to.

But she knew I was off limits and even though she flirted I had a woman at home.

I spent the day at the office working on my plans, my eyes kept going for my phone waiting for a text or call from Liz, but I didn't get anything.

Surely, she hadn't forgotten.

I decided to keep my mind focused and wait until I was back home.

On my way home I bought flowers and chocolates from the store as well as her present. I knew she had her eyes on this beautiful pair of earrings.

I parked in the driveway and headed inside.

"Liz, baby you home" I called out into the hall. No answer.

What was she planning I thought as I walked around the house.

"it's me Leon" I stepped back seeing my mother sitting with Jayson, our son.

I walked over kissing him on his head.

"where Liz?" I asked her. She kept staring at Jayson avoiding my eyes. Slowly she moved her attention to my arms. The chocolates and flowers tightly in my grasp.