Chapter 21

Wow, that took me forever to write! Sorry about that guys, I took a week off after the semester, then went out of town for another week, and then as soon as I got back home everything blew up and went crazy. But, I finally got this chapter finished for you. It's a little on the shorter side, but it's still over 2k words, so not bad overall.

I hope you guys like it. Lord knows I spent long enough trying to figure out how to make it work properly. :P

@Sereneur has made yet ANOTHER incredible typography for my quote of the chapter, so you can check that out below. :)

 :)

Celeste's adrenaline from finding out Alec was injured had worn off long ago, but she had still been too distracted after that to remember how hungry she was when Izzy had come to get her when she was studying

Celeste's adrenaline from finding out Alec was injured had worn off long ago, but she had still been too distracted after that to remember how hungry she was when Izzy had come to get her when she was studying. It seemed like she could never catch a moment of down time, and eventually her stomach protested.

After shoveling a bowl of dry cereal down her throat and taking an apple to go, she was on her way back to the Ops Center when she rounded the corner and came face to face with Lydia.

"Lydia!" She exclaimed in surprise. It was the first time the two of them had been alone together, and Celeste wasn't sure she'd get another one. She wanted to make it count. As Lydia continued walking to wherever she was going, Celeste quickly followed along. "Can we talk for a second."

Lydia met Celeste's wide brown eyes, and despite being in a hurry, she couldn't help but soften at the look on her face. "This is about Alec and I's engagement, isn't it?"

She nodded. "I just don't understand. Why would you accept a proposal when you don't love each other? You barely even know each other."

The blonde looked down at Celeste and frowned. "In this line of work, the only thing worth falling in love with is the work itself." She said seriously.

Celeste blinked in shock. "How could you say that? A life without love is like... A tree with no leaves."

Lydia seemed to be deep in thought as she frowned at Celeste. Suddenly, the red color she had grown comfortable with seeing around Lydia's figure was joined by a dark blue around the outside. For the very first time, Celeste was seeing two rings of color around someone, and she wasn't quite sure what it meant.