eighty-three

Time passes quickly, and things get... better.

Harry's parents visit for the first time just to make sure Harry actually is living on his own space. This means that Louis and Harry spent the previous day gathering all of Louis' belongings from Harry's loft to make sure it looked as though only Harry had ever inhabited it. Staying over at Harry's means keeping a toothbrush in the drawer, an extra pillow in bed, and stray clothes all over the place. They run around double checking everything to make sure it isn't too obvious.

As soon as they leave, Louis is there, standing outside with a bag full of takeout, and some cat treats for Sugarplum. The door opens as soon as Louis knocks, and Harry tugs him inside.

"How was it?"

"Awful," he comments, dragging Louis to the kitchen. "But, um, they're satisfied. Like, they're happy I moved out. I made red velvet cupcakes, by the way."

"They look great," Louis praises, and that's the end of the conversation about Harry's parents.

They snuggle up on the bed because Harry doesn't have a couch yet so there aren't too many other options, aside from the floor. Sugarplum can't make her way to the loft on her own so Louis carries her up the ladder and watches with a wide smile as should runs over the mess of sheets to nuzzle against Harry's chest. Louis gets it. He wants to do the same.

This is how they spend most of their time when they're together. Now that they know each other really well and are far past the awkward beginning stages of friendship, everything is golden. It's easy to just exist in each other's space and enjoy each other's company, not worrying about anything else.

Louis loves nights like these the most because they're very conducive to holding each other close and enjoying shared warmth and comfort. Even when they're busy with studying or typing essays or finishing art projects, they usually find a way to cuddle. Sometimes this means leaning against each other on the couch, or sitting on each other's laps, or anything really as long as they're touching.

When Louis stays up late preparing for an exam the next day or rushing to finish a project, Harry likes to curl up in his lap and play with Louis' free hand or run his fingers through his hair. Louis always indulges him, and trades kisses when he needs a break from working.

When Harry has a late night at the studio, Louis will typically stop by with a bag of snacks and other tiny gifts, like a stuffed animal or a new lotion, lip balm, or perfume to try. He likes to sit on an empty stool and watch Harry work, admiring the look of concentration on his face, they way he rubs his eyes when he's tired, and furrows his brow when he's trying to figure something out. Sometimes there will be graphite smudged on his cheek, or maybe even a smear of paint, and it's just so endearing...

They haven't been spending every night together, but definitely the majority of them. Usually Louis goes to Harry's even if it means a longer walk to class in the morning, because getting to see Harry with Sugarplum is truly a gift. Harry's apartment feels cozier too, maybe because it's so much smaller. Harry says it feels empty when Louis isn't with him.

Instead of watching movies or TV shows on Harry's laptop, they have a night of reading books in companionable silence. Harry journals a little bit, writing in his messy scrawl and shying away every time Louis even glances in his direction. Louis would never violate his privacy by trying to sneak a glance at what he's writing, but he does wonder.

Around midnight Harry makes more tea, and somehow manages to climb back up the ladder holding two cups in his hands. Louis takes one from him quickly, before he can spill it, and kisses him in thanks. The tea feels warm within his hands and the heat spreads throughout his body, especially when Harry curls up beside him and they fall back into their easy silence.

Nothing is ever perfect, but life has been getting a lot better. It's still the dead of winter and some wounds are so fresh and recent, it hurts to even think about them. But the more time they spend with each other, the more often they talk about the troubles that are bothering them, the closer they find themselves, and the easier it becomes to coexist.

Their love is secure, even if Harry and Louis are insecure. The doubt and worry disappears with time, as they prove themselves over and over again. The promise that I will be here for you, whenever you need me only becomes more certain, more sure.