sixty-nine

"So Harry, do you have a boyfriend?"

"Ummm," he spares a glance at Louis like he's wondering how to answer. "Um, no. I don't."

"Lottie," Louis says calmly. "Can you please stop being invasive?"

"Shut up. I'm making conversation."

Harry is a little uncomfortable but for the most part he's dealing with Louis' family very well. The walk to the cafe was an adventure because the weather is so horrid, and it's a relief to be inside now. Jay has mellowed out and is back to her usual sweet self, now officially over the fact that Louis didn't call her even when he said he would.

"Louis doesn't have a boyfriend either," Fizzy supplies, sharing a look with Lottie and laughing. They can be such little shits sometimes, but Louis loves them anyways. Sometimes.

Besides, if they're trying to set up him and Harry for the sheer sake of matchmaking drama, they're out of luck, because Louis and Harry are already sort of together. They haven't discussed anything yet, but the term relationship has already been floating around, so.

Something that confuses Louis is how Harry acts around Jay, Lottie, and Fizzy. He had expected Harry to be shy and reserved like he is with his own parents, but that's not true. Today, Harry is amiable, personable, and charismatic, making all three of them fall in love with him. Allfour of them, if Louis is included, as he should be. Seeing Harry with his family makes him love him even more.

They get pastries from the bakery which sets Harry off into a monologue about the pastries he wants to try baking at home. Which leads into Jay telling him about a dish she's been meaning to try. Which leads into the two of them excitedly sharing recipes. Which leads to Harry letting it spill that he's been cooking Louis dinner for months, now.

"Wow," Lottie mutters, eyebrows raised. Fizzy looks over at Louis and gives him an appreciative smile, like good catch! Harry's great!

Jay's mouth is parted in surprise but she covers it quickly. "I knew Lou couldn't have been surviving on his own for this long. Of course he had someone cooking meals for him," she laughs, and Louis rolls his eyes.

"I'm not completely helpless," he mutters, although he can't remember the last time he cooked something and it turned out edible. Harry has been taking care of almost all meals together, recently.

"Lou is okay in the kitchen," Harry lies, sticking up for him. "He made us pancakes once, and they were-" He looks around the table and sees everyone staring at him expectantly. "They were okay," he says quietly, biting his lip, like it's the best compliment he can come up with without sounding completely over the top.

Louis swats him in the arm indignantly, and then feels bad for hitting him and rubs the sore spot with his fingers to make up for it. "Whatever. We can't all be good at cooking."

Harry nods along, agreeing with him probably just to placate him.

Louis grabs his hand underneath the table and interlaces their fingers. He has to eat the rest of his breakfast with his left hand. It's a struggle, but it's worth it.