eighty-one

Everything is great. For about two weeks.

Louis and Harry go to the animal shelter and pick out a cat for Harry. He ends up falling for a disabled kitten who's missing an eye, due to an injury on her face that became infected. A woman found her beneath her car and brought her to the vet, willing to pay whatever she needed to save her. Three cat surgeries later, and the kitty is as good as new, at least with only one eye.

Harry names her Sugarplum. He alternates between calling her Sugar, Plum, Sugarplum, and other names like Fluffy Baby and Prettiest Girl in the Whole World.

It's too cute for words. Sometimes, Louis has to look away, especially during moments when Harry is asleep on the couch and Sugarplum is curled up in a boxcar position on his chest, resting the top of her head against his chin. Or when Harry walks around his apartment with the kitten resting on his shoulder. Or when he and Louis are in bed together and she jumps up onto the mattress, prancing towards them and curling up to create a group cuddle.

Another development is the beginning of the Spring semester, which comes too soon. Louis' classes are difficult but through his years of college, he's learned how to deal with it without killing himself. Harry has a big sculpting project to work on, which keeps him at the studio most nights, working with various types of clay until his hands are numb from overuse.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, either, because it means Louis can stop at a coffee shop on the way to the studio to surprise his almost boyfriend with a late-night treat and maybe even a bit of kissing.

Sometimes it turns into a bit more than that, too. The first time they have sex after deciding to really "date" is actually in the studio.

Harry is working a late night and when Louis comes in carrying tea from Starbucks, feeling really good because he found out he aced an exam during his afternoon class, and then when he got home and was listening to music on his phone, he felt the drive to sing. Not much, just a little bit, mumbling along the lyrics to hits from the early 2000's. Later, he gave his mother a call to catch up, and she was happy because everyone seemed to be happy back home.

He sees Harry bent over his lifelike sculpture of a nameless, nude male form with his hands covered in clay. He crosses the otherwise empty studio with footfalls that aren't as quiet as they could be, because he doesn't want to startle Harry. He kisses him on the forehead and offers him a towel to wipe of his hands so he can take a sip of his tea.

"You're happy today," Harry observes, smiling like it's contagious.

Louis tells him about his good day, even adding the part where he sang a little bit to himself when he was alone. Harry smiles at him and listens patiently, exclaiming in excitement when he hears Louis sang a little bit today.

"That's so great, Lou, really. I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks, babe. How was your day, by the way? You look like you're hard at work. I'm sorry to interrupt."

"Nah, it's alright, I needed a break anyways. My day was kind of shit but it's better now that you're here."

"Aw, such a sweetheart. Why was it shit?"

"Eh, just a bunch of stupid stuff. Not really in the mood to talk about it."

"That's alright." Louis sets his hands on Harry's shoulders and begins kneading out the knots. "Wanna relax a little bit, or get back to work?"

"Relax, please. Your hands are amazing. Always want them on me."

Louis laughs a little and keeps massaging Harry's shoulders. "I feel like we could arrange that."