Twelve

With her hand firmly grasping Bucky's wrist, Natasha practically dragged him out of the house. There were butterflies swarming in Bucky's stomach and he didn't understand how he could feel so nervous when all he wanted to do was be near Steve. One would think that Bucky would be sprinting towards the Rogers' house. However, he stalled. Even going so far as purposely pausing by Natasha's car to place the book inside. Being unnecessarily gentle while doing so.

"You nervous?" Natasha asked as they crossed the street, heading towards the cozy split-level house.

"No," Bucky scoffed and lied, "Why would I be?"

"Okay," Natasha sarcastically agreed.

Finally reaching the house, Bucky's stomach was completely flipped upside down. As he reached up, he closed his clammy hand into a fist so he could knock on the green front door. Knocking, Bucky tried to make it sound as friendly as possible.

After a few minutes of nothing, Bucky wondered if he should try and knock again. Just as he was about to raise his fist again, the door opened to reveal a tall, busty blonde with a laundry in one arm balancing on her hip and a phone wedged between her ear and shoulder. It didn't take Bucky long to realize that it was Steve's older sister, Alana.

Alana had been a mainstay in Bucky's childhood. Being the oldest -- by four years -- she used to babysit them all. Which Bucky had to pay kudos to her for dealing with all those kids while still being rather young herself. Especially since she had to deal with Steve, Bucky, and Natasha's bullshit. Like sneaking out and going down to the dock. Or going to the Romanoffs' house while everyone was supposed to be at the Rogers'.

As Alana evaluated Bucky, a flash of recognition crossed her face, "Bucky Barnes?" Bucky nodded his confirmation and her plump lips turned up in the same manner that Steve's did as she stated, "Long time, no see. How've you been?"

"Good," Bucky answered. There was a little kid squeal and Bucky glanced over to the side where Bucky assumed the sound came from up the short staircase. A bit hesitantly, Bucky asked, "How about you?"

Alana blinked a few times, as though she was trying to clear her mind. Sighing, she answered, "Good." Taking in a deep breath -- like she was trying to muster up enough energy to continue through the day -- she asked, "How's Mandy? Becca? Ooh, and Tibby?" Looking at both Bucky and Natasha, Alana teased, "Your parents didn't have any more kids, right?"

"No," Bucky chuckled and Natasha exclaimed, "Thank god."

"Right," Alana snorted and teasingly reminisced, "It was difficult enough with just the three of you before your sisters came along."

Bucky softly, awkwardly chuckled and Natasha playfully elbowed him as she laughed. Glancing back up at Alana, the blonde winked, letting Bucky know that she really didn't mean it. After a moment, Alana must have realized that they were, in fact, still standing on the welcome mat because she quickly started, "Oh, my." She moved out of the way and gestured, "Come on in."

"Thanks," Natasha entered the house with Bucky closely following. Immediately, the pair slipped off their shoes, and Natasha asked, "Steve in his room?"

"Yeah," Alana confirmed and closed the front door. As Bucky went to head up the staircase to the main level of the house, Alana stopped Bucky, "He's in his room."

With his foot hovering on the step, Bucky gestured up the short staircase. Before Bucky could ask, Natasha clarified, "He's in the basement now."

"Oh," Bucky blushed and moved out of the way, so Alana could climb up the staircase and over the baby-gate at the top. Lamely, Bucky awkwardly muttered, "Okay, thanks."

Natasha gestured for Bucky to go first and Bucky nervously chewed on his lower lip. His knees felt weak and he glanced over his shoulder to make sure that Natasha was still behind him. When they reached the bottom of the staircase, Bucky paused and took in a deep breath.

"Go on," Natasha whispered as she nudged Bucky closer to the door.

Bucky took in another deep breath, to ground himself in the moment. However, his excitement got the better of him as he spasmodically knocked on the door.

"Yeah?" Steve called from the other side of the door.

"Ya decent?" Bucky teased and immediately regretted it.

Especially when Natasha quietly scoffed, "Lame."

Steve simply barked out a laugh and Bucky suddenly didn't feel so bad about his lame comment. Bucky opened the door and noticed that the basement had been remodeled since the last time that he was there. Instead, of it simply being a game room, now it could've been considered a dream bedroom suite.

"You ready to have your ass handed to you?" Steve teasingly challenged as he pulled on a navy-blue tank.

Momentarily distracted by his toned torso and disheveled damp golden blond hair, it took Natasha elbowing Bucky in his ribs to snap him out of his trance. Bucky blushed and averted his gaze towards the entertainment area of the large room while he playfully replied, "You wish."

Chuckling, Steve crossed the room towards the TV area, and he told them, "Ya don't have to stand there. Make yourself at home."

Smirking, Bucky sheepishly ran his hand along the back of his neck as he tried to gather himself and remain as calm as possible. Leaving the doorway, Bucky plopped down on one side of the large leather sectional sofa while Natasha took a seat in the middle. Obviously leaving enough room for Steve to take a seat beside Bucky, if he wanted to. Not that Bucky noticed though. All Bucky could focus on was Steve.