Chapter 22: Home

It had been two years since San had taken Hyejin. Two years since the unthinkable happened. 

Hyejin sat curled up on the couch with her head resting on Seonghwa's shoulder. They were watching a movie together about a girl who had the ability foresee upcoming events in the future and was trying to help the police stop criminals before they committed a crime. Seonghwa was afraid that the movie would trigger memories for Hyejin, but she told him she was okay and that she wanted to watch it.

Seonghwa went back to work at the hospital and Hyejin took a part time job at a popular local cafe that was opened by one of her friends. She enjoyed working there and made special connections and friendships with the customers. Hyejin had also moved in with Seonghwa. She felt safer around him and he had the urge to protect her. Mingi came over and visited often with Haeun, who had become very fond of Hyejin. While Haeun played with Hyejin, Seonghwa and Mingi would discuss matters dealing with San. It was something they all wanted to forget, but it was something that had to be dealt with.

Kim Hongjoong was charged with three counts of felony murder and a count of aiding and abetting for the escape of San which resulted in a prison sentence of twenty-five years; five years per felony murder and ten years for the aiding and abetting crime. 

A year later, the police were also able to catch the copycat criminal, who had no link to the crimes done by Choi San, other than copying him.

Wooyoung and Jongho continued working at the hospital, while Yeosang was transferred to another hospital in the United States. Yunho remained at the police department as an interrogation officer and had gotten married and became a father of a little girl they named Aesook. 

It had taken almost two weeks after Hyejin's rescue to find San drowned at the bottom of the lake. A massive search team was developed because they thought he was still on the run. All of South Korea was sent into a panic and nearly everyone searched for him. Little did they know, it was all over. He was dead, no longer a threat. 

Hyejin was put into therapy for three months. Seonghwa had been taken in for questioning as a suspect in the death of Choi San, but was quickly dismissed when the autopsy results came in. Seonghwa always thought of her when he was at work. He knew she was okay, but the thought of not being around her always frightened him. 

Hyejin left a soft kiss on Seonghwa's neck and stood up, throwing the soft red blanket off of her. "I'll be right back." She said. He watched her as she left the room and went into the bathroom. Her purple pajama shorts showed off her long slender white legs and her tank top revealed her bare arms. She cut her hair earlier in the year, but it already grew out to the middle of her back. He sighed and stood, stretching. A few moments later, Hyejin came back out.

She pulled her long dark hair back into a messy bun. Seonghwa walked up to her and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close to him. He gently left a kiss on the tip of her nose. She smiled and leaned her head against his chest. He rested his chin on the top of her head. "I love you," he said.