Chapter 21: Whisper

Seonghwa struggled to stay on his feet. Hyejin's arms were wrapped tightly around his neck as he carried her on his back. They traveled slowly down the side of the road stopping every so often for Seonghwa to take a break or readjust Hyejin. She told him she was fine with walking, but he insisted on carrying her. When they were running away from the house, she had tripped and twisted her ankle. He had given her his jacket that was in the trunk of his car to tie around her waist as well to hide her bare skin. 

It was quiet for the longest, and the silence was starting to bother Seonghwa. He wanted to say something to her, but he wasn't sure what to say. It had taken some convincing to get her to go with him and at that point; she was afraid of everyone. She didn't trust anyone and she had a reason not to, but Seonghwa had managed to get through to her. 

"Seonghwa," a tiny voice said behind him. It actually startled him; he wasn't expecting her to say anything. 

"Yeah?" He answered.

She was quiet for a moment. "Thank you."

He didn't respond. His eyes filled with tears. He bit his lip, fighting back the urge to cry. Instead, he just nodded his head. She wrapped her arms tighter around him and rested her head on his shoulder. He felt her grip the front of his shirt. He glanced down. She was holding on to him so tightly that her knuckles were white. Her hair tickled his ear and he felt her soft breath on his skin. She sniffled and he realized that she was crying. 

After about half an hour, Hyejin insisted on being put down. It was actually quite a relief for Seonghwa, but he was worried about her. He was also a bit paranoid, fearing that San would come crashing out through the trees at any point. They walked side by side. Hyejin's head was down and she watched her feet as she walked. She looked up at Seonghwa and opened her mouth like she wanted to say something, but then closed it. Her mouth twisted at a weird angle as she held back her words. 

"Are you okay?" Seonghwa said finally, looking down at her foot. She looked back up at him and nodded. 

"I would have thought a car would have driven down here by now," Seonghwa said, trying to make conversation. Hyejin was quiet. All they heard was the wild chirping of the birds and their feet as they hit the ground. 

"Seonghwa," Hyejin said in a soft voice. 

"Yeah?" 

She bit the inside of her cheek and hesitantly reached for his hand. The action took Seonghwa by surprise, but he suddenly felt all warm and happy. He pursed his lips to hide the smile that crossed his face. He glanced down at her. She looked so tiny and frail, like even the gentle blow of the breeze could break her. For a moment, she reminded him of Haeun, innocent and small. 

In the distance, Seonghwa noticed a large moving object. He squinted his eyes.

"Hyejin, do you see that?" 

The object was moving closer. Seonghwa's eyes widened. "It's a car." 

The car got closer and closer. Seonghwa waved his hand wildly through the air. Hyejin did the same thing. The car slowed down and came to a stop in front of him. Instantly, Seonghwa recognized the car. 

Mingi stepped out and ran up to them. 

"Seonghwa, where have you been?" His eyes shifted to Hyejin and he immediately understood. Mingi pulled Seonghwa into a tight hug. 

"I was so worried. Are you okay?" He asked. Seonghwa nodded and motioned back to Hyejin.

"This is Hyejin," Seonghwa said. Mingi walked up to Hyejin and took her hands in his. "Hello, Hyejin. My name is Song Mingi. I work for the Seoul Police Department." Her hands trembled.