Chapter 15: Hide-and-Seek in the dark

"We called the police. They said they will be here as soon as possible." An older man with graying hair and a scuffed wooden cane said slowly. His legs were crossed under his chair and he was running his finger around the rim of a glass cup. 

"They said it may take about half an hour since we don't exactly have first responders here." It was true. It was a tiny village that really was only protected by its own people. They didn't have an emergency crew, but there was a tiny little "police box" in the town square that people could go to for help. Usually, people only went there for small things like petty theft or disagreements that they couldn't solve on their own. Chango-ri was the closest village that had emergency responders since it was a tourist location. 

A woman stood, tying her jacket around her waist. "I'm going to wait outside and try to flag them down when they come. Hey," she motioned to the man sitting across from her. "Lock this door. We don't want that psychopath coming in here."

"What about you?" the man at her table asked.

"I'll be fine. Lock it." She left and the restaurant was filled with an uncomfortable silence. The man, after a moment of hesitation, stood and locked the door. He looked through the window down at the dark empty street before sitting back down. The woman who went outside leaned against the glass window with her arms folded over her chest.

"Hyejin. Do you know the man's name? Did he tell you?"

Hyejin looked up at him with watery eyes and a red nose. "Choi San."

"Choi San." The restaurant owner repeated. He started to speak again when Hyejin cut him off.

"He was a patient of mine at the hospital I worked at in Seoul." A tear slipped down her cheek and she drew into herself.

"The hospital?"

"A psychiatric facility."

The owner sighed and bit the inside of his lip, not sure how to respond. Instead, he sat down in the chair across from her and took her hand in his. 

"So you're a nurse?" He asked. She nodded and wiped her nose on her sleeve. The man sat in the chair and glanced around at the other people in the restaurant who were watching and eavesdropping. 

"How long has he had you? Do you remember?"

"I-....I don't...I don't know." She said, shaking her head, trying to recall how long it had been since she sat curled up on the couch with Seonghwa, her head rested on his chest, her hand in his. A week? A month? She couldn't recall. 

"That's okay. Do you have any kids? A husband?" She shook her head. He was trying to keep her distracted, trying to keep her talking.

"How old are you, Hyejin?"

"Twenty-five."

Hyejin curled up in the chair, drawing her knees up to her chest. She looked across the room and out the window, staring intently into the darkness that was barely illuminated by the small lanterns that lined the streets. A sudden movement in the shadows interrupted the stillness of the outside. She leaned forward slightly, squinting her eyes to try to make out the shape in the dark. The woman outside straightened and took a few steps forward. Another younger man saw the woman step forward. 

"I think the police are here." He said, motioning to the window. Hyejin watched as the darkness swallowed her, only leaving the slightest visible silhouette. 

A moment passed before, suddenly, the woman flew back and hit the glass, slumping to the ground. A few of the people in the restaurant screamed. Hyejin stood quickly, knocking the chair over. Her hands flew up to her mouth and her eyes widened. She began to tremble and tears flooded her eyes. He's here.