Chapter 9 : What Happened? (bonus)

[Author's Note]

This is the one and only part that didn't use Max's point of view. It all happened when Max was unconscious, so this part was Hedgehog's and Oscar's.

-¤¤¤-

- Hedgehog -

"Max, why?" I cried out loud.

I didn't wanna let this side of me to come out, but I needed to. I had to.

I sobbed, sobbing until the very last drop of tears. Oscar was here, he patted my head trying to calm me down.

I realized Alexa finally arrived here. She gasped in pure wrath and fear, "w-what?"

"Wh-where is Max?" She added, stunned in place. I stared at the fire burnt building.

Tears dropped over everybody's eyes. Even Alice stopped rampaging, she must have been feeling so bad by now.

She hated when she had to destroy cute stuff, and Max was cute for sure.

Oscar sniffed, I knew he was my best friend. . .

. . .but it was hard to accept that he was the one who caused Max to sacrificed himself.

I couldn't just be mad at him because of what had happened, it wasn't completely his fault afterall.

I could see that Oscar wanted to say a faint sorry under his breath.

I wanted to forgive him, but I didn't know if I can handle continue to live without his smile.

"Wait, we found something!"

Oliver and Pepper---that somehow was awoke yelled, pointing at a black furry figure.

I wiped my tears in order to see it clearly.

"MAX!" I shouted as I ran there, freed myself from Oscar's tight grab. Alexa stunned in place, couldn't move an inch.

Alice smiled with a relief, and so did Susie---because she would suffer paying hundreds of dollars for the dead of one camper, obviously.

I sighed, relieved. But, there was one more problem, would he survive?

At the time I realized it, the panick attacked me back.

What would happen?

He might be dead by now.

"He is still breathing!" Lucy exclaimed.

Lem poked the bat's head, "but it won't be long."

"Bring him to the Mess Hall!" Susie ordered. We all nodded in unison, didn't even bother to say a word.

-¤¤¤-

- Oscar -

Was I wrong---was I wrong if I fell for my best friend?

Was this a curse?

Hedgehog must have been real mad at me by now. What had I done?

She was my best friend. . .

. . .and I liked her.

While, Max? He was a friend of mine and Hegdehog. I know that they fell for each other since the first day, but I thought there was still a chance.

If Max fell for Alexa, Hedgehog would automatically be mine.

But, I have made a mistake, a big one.

I knew I have caused hundreds of trouble for her, even I lied to her once! But I liked her, and I couldn't change a thing.

"Listen, Hedgehog, I wanted to tell you something," I opened my mouth to speak as we sat on one of the Mess Hall's cold bench.

Hedgehog sighed as a reply.

"I, I really like you Hedgehog. I am very sorry, I didn't mean to cause Max to b-"

She cut off my words by hugging me.

"Oscar, you are my best friend and I already know about it."

"You know it?!" I gasped.

"Yes I did! You make it way too obvious," she pointed. "I don't hate you, I never do. But you, how could you did that?"

She cried.

"I am so sorry Hedgehog," I sobbed. "I, I didn't mean that to happen. I wanted you to see me, not him. Max has Alexa, I need you." 

"Oscar, I am sorry but I don't feel the same."

"I know."

We stared at each other deeply. Just one difference, I blushed---and only me.

She would never love me back, and I knew it. But it still felt hurt to think of it.

"Everybody! Let's give him a time," Lucy exclaimed.

"Can I stay?" Hedgehog asked for permission.

Lucy kept silent, but agreed anyway.

"The others get out!" Susie yelled in an ordering manner. I raised my hands, but lowered it down as soon as possible before anybody could have noticed.

I didn't deserve her, like what Max said. I never did, he was the one that deserved her all along.

《¤¤¤》