5 | a match made in the sea

𝐁𝐑𝐀𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐖𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐋𝐀𝐁𝐒, 

𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐍𝐀 𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐒

ELEANOR

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

It was more of autumn breeze rather than a winter chill when I exited onto the hangar. The water filtered out as the seal locked itself tight, disallowing any sort of material to seep through. The hangar was minimalistic, probably less than five hundred square feet, and disallowed any form of natural lights. A single vessel that was larger than a Quinjet and a few cars—hoverboards?—littered around the entrance of the laboratory. 

I kneaded my pained shoulder from the Iron Man armor panels which were practically dislodging my joints, a worried mask encroaching my face. I was elated to see that I was able to access the armour as itself, never thinking that Tony would've granted that much of a power to someone like me. Turning around, I called out to Rhodey when he exited his War Machine armour and clamouring to my side in an instant. 

'You're positive he's here?'

'Highly.'

My heart mounted a beat. I had forcefully ridden all the way down to the Pacific Ocean in the Iron Man armour and I really felt sick to the stomach. It was a straight five hours, non-stop through heavy skies and panels biting into my back. As for Rhodey, I had harangued him into making him cave and give me Tony's location. We wasted no time in hauling our asses into one of the suits—Rhodey got his own—until I realized this was the definition of impulse. 

All my concerns were forgotten when my thoughts focused on finding Tony. I paused in my footsteps when Rhodey walked forward steadfast, taking a few minutes to prepare. All this was done in such a spur-of-the-moment that I had omitted out our stance. He wouldn't want to see me, I thought. But what if he did?

'You coming?' 

Nodding frantically, I picked up my pace and joined Rhodey's side. I had rehearsed this conversation in my head a hundred times and every time I got to the end, my mouth ran dry. I took a shaky breath, ousting my worry as we reached to the first door on the left and keeping my eyes peeled open for any sign of distress. The door gave off an airtight seal opener screech when it slid to the left, allowing Rhodey and I to pass. 

Ahead of us, the room was a silent sanctuary. The only sounds supplementing the quiet was the soft beeping of a heart monitor and a quiet ticking which I couldn't place. A dark-skinned male stood near a window which overlooked the ocean-floor, the coral and turquoise-coloured waters casting murky reflections into the lab. The man—a doctor judging by the instruments around the lab—hovered to my side, stretching his daunting hand out a shake. I shook on it politely with a wavering smile of my own.