Chapter 9

"Good job everyone." Ash said from on top of her den. There must have been a decent amount of rocks that she moved to make the space to stand on top of the den. "We didn't lose anyone this time!"

I look up at Ash, narrowing my eyes. She closes hers after meeting my gaze.

"You should all get some rest, you deserve it after defending our camp as fiercely as you did." Ash smiles and jumps down from her perch. Everyone disperses, going to their dens to get the sleep that Ash suggested.

"Ash!" I said once she reaches me. "We did lose someone!" She puts her tail against my snout, making it so I can't talk. She leads me over to the medicine den and lets her tail drop.

"He wasn't a part of our pack, I didn't want to alarm anyone that there was a lone wolf that came to help and died."

I bow my head. "Alright. I understand." A few moments later I hear some rustling and Frost, Snow, and Mona come into the camp. Frost and Snow start running right for me when the catch sight of me. A few moments after they barrel into me, knocking me over in a fit of laughter. "Hey pups! What's up?"

"Do you know where dad is?" Snow asked.

"Yeah, do you mom? He left last night and didn't come back!" Frost adds. I look to Ash, who looks to Mona.

"Oh. . . ." Mona smiles. "Yeah, I can try, sure!" She follows Ash into the medicine den, and I hear her give a tiny gasp.

"Hey pups? Can you go into the nursery and see if there's still a grey wolf named Blossom sleeping there? And then wait at the entrance of the nursery standing guard?" I asked my pups, so I can go into the medicine den without them, I don't want them seeing Bryn, for obvious reasons.

"Sure, mom!" They answer together. I watch as they run off into the den, butting each other aside on the way. I shake my head and smile at them.

I make my way through the bracken hanging down from the top of the den, and emerge into the den and spot Mona and Ash at the back.

"Good you're here." Ash said. I nod. "You sent the pups off on a wild goose chase didn't you?" She asked with a slight smile.

"Yeah, I don't want them seeing him, I mean, for obvious reasons. . . ." I said, trailing off a bit. "Anyways," I turn to Mona, "Can you do it?"

Mona nods. "Yes, I can. I'm really glad I found a way to use my power to help someone other than myself." She said. She closes her eyes and seems to just sit there for a minute. "That's good, his spirit is still lingering in this world. That's going to make my job much easier." I cock my head, only partly understanding what that would do to help.

There was a pause, then: "Ash?"

I gasp. "Bryn!" I rush forward and put my head on his shoulder. "You're alive." I said with a smile in my voice. I look over to Mona and smile and nod at her. "Thank you so much, Mona. I can never repay you for this."

"Yes you can. You can join our pack!" She replied, with a smile as well.

"Mona! Our pack is an all girl pack though! Bryn isn't a girl! And Moon isn't just going to leave him!" Ash exclaimed disapprovingly.

I step back from Bryn, and look at Ash. "This is the first time that Mona has used her power for something like this right?" I asked.

"Yes, it is, so what?" She said, still looking disapprovingly at Mona.

"Well, it's the first time she's used her power for something like this. Don't you think that we should at least monitor Bryn for a week, so we can make sure her power isn't temporary, and that he stays alive for more than a week?" I asked her, trying to show reason for him to come live in the pack as well. "Because I've already made up my mind and I'm going to stay with you guys, I like your pack and everyone in it is so very nice, and I want to be a part of that. I especially want my pups to be a part of it. And you know I could never part with them."

"Alright, he can stay. I guess we would need at least one boy in the pack to keep us entertained with all their stupid jokes." Ash said, laughing at the thought of Bryn telling the pack stupid jokes. I laugh along with her.

"Thanks, Ash. And thanks again, Mona." I said, very happy. I turn to Bryn. "Let's go meet our new pack mates, and pups."

Bryn smiles. "Yeah, let's go."