Chapter 4

After Mona explained to me what had happened to Ash, I turned to Bryn and he nodded, taking the pups and leaving me alone with Mona.

"So, Ice had so much love in her heart, she turned into a normal wolf, and Ash had so much darkness in her heart from being shunned by her pack that when Ice found her, Ash was turning into a Shadow Wolf, so Ice decided to give Ash the love she had in her heart and because of that Ash returned to her normal state as a wolf, but Ice turned to a Shadow Wolf again, and so Ash had to kill her because Ice was going to kill the entire pack because she lost her love?"

"No, not exactly, but I guess you're close enough. Ash. . . ." Mona looks at me. "You really don't know her to do you?"

"No, I haven't been with Ash for so long, I thought that . . . I thought that Ash might have been killed when she didn't come back for those four months. Actually, part of the reason I left my pack is that I wanted to go and search for Ash, not knowing that she had made a life for herself here in this forest and that she didn't want to be found. It's sad because she and I actually had a really strong bond when we were pups. But I guess that bond got broken when she and I started to grow apart when we got different mentors when we came of age. . . ."

Mona sits there in silence for a bit before she said, "Ash never had a mentor since everyone but you overlooked her. After the two of you began growing apart, Ash had more freedom to do what she wanted. Though, she was already decently free, because the only person that cared about her was you. When you began growing apart, she basically had complete freedom. . . when you stop paying attention to her completely, she was completely free. So she left your old pack." Mona sighs.

"I wish I had known that, because just based on what I've seen, Ash has become the strongest wolf we would have had in the pack, meaning even if she was overlooked, she would have become alpha of our old pack. That's the one rule, that any wolf, one being a runt of the litter and being overlooked, if they're strong enough, they're able to become alpha, even if no one wants them to be, it's the leaders before them that choose the new ones."

"Yes, but she didn't want that. Also, you are right, Ash is incredibly strong. Though, no one knows just how strong she is. She never uses her full strength or speed when she's fighting. Ash is the fastest wolf to be born in a century." Mona lays down, the grass blanketing her and providing a soft bed.

"Yes, well, there were actually two wolves that were the strongest ones born in a century. Ash and I were so close not just because we were in the same litter, we're actually twins. I know it is really rare, but it does happen. I don't look like her anymore though, just because my fur and design changed some when I had my pups."

"Yes, it is rare," Mona stands up suddenly cutting off the rest of what she would have said. She crouched down, getting close the ground, folding her ears back and growing.