Chapter 3

I'm in my den, lying in the back unable to fall asleep. So this is where she was all this time. She's the new alpha of that pack. I sigh. And she doesn't trust me. . . but, she has every right. I realize. The sense I was getting from her, she's really powerful.

She was always looked down on, considered a runt because she was smaller than everyone. Now that I think about it, no one ever did really notice when she went missing except me, and even then, I didn't care that much. She has every right to hate me.

It is then that I made up my mind and was able to fall peacefully asleep.

➴ ➴ ➴

I feel a nudge against my shoulder and I open my eyes.

"Good morning, sleepy head," Bryn said to me. I smile and nod.

"Morning to you as well," I said as I got up to go outside to scout the territory for enemies like I do every morning after I wake up.

"Moon, don't bother. Your sister already beat you to it, she's been scouting our territory as well as her own. She's been guarding and caring for us as if we're in her pack as well." Bryn had said after flicking his tail against my nose to stop me.

I shrug. "Very well, I'm going to go check something out though." I head out of my den and into the forest and almost trip over my pups play fighting out on the forest floor.

"Stop you fiend! You Shadow Wolves aren't allowed in my territory!" Frost leaps at Snow and pounces on her pinning her to the ground.

Snow growls at Frost, trying to push her off, but fails.

"Well, looks like we found the runt," Bryn said.

"Not funny, Bryn." I glare at him.

From out of nowhere Mona jumps on him and has him pinned to the ground. He tries to push her off but he can't.

I laugh. "Looks like we found another runt right, Bryn?"

"Shush, Moon. Get off me, Mona!" He tries to push her off again and this time gets her off.

She rolls around on the ground and looks up at us with a 'seriously' and 'why' look on her face.

"You're not my alpha, Bryn." She said getting up.

"Yes, I may not be your alpha, Mona, but I am older than you, and stronger as well," Bryn said, backing a few steps away and sitting down.

Mona sighs. "Very well, that is true." She rolls her eyes.

"So, Mona, why are you here? Did my sister send you to spy on us?" I asked her.

"No, I was hunting in the area and thought that I may as well pay a visit to my leader's sister." Mona shrugs.

"Why did you want to visit though? I know you're not entitled to, and that you're the only one other than Ash herself in the pack that knows I'm her sister. So why did you visit?"

"Ash said that I needed to stay away from you because you were dangerous. I doubted that so I wanted to see for myself." Mona said.

"So, what do you think? Do you think that you need to stay away from me?" I asked her.

She moves around, stopping to sniff the grass and then laying down on it, but getting up a moment later and moving around again. She drags her paws in the dirt making squiggly lines and other random designs.

I notice that the pups have stopped play fighting and have come over to sit next to Bryn. They are staring at Mona as if they have never seen another wolf before. I don't get it, they've seen plenty of other wolves, including Shadow Wolves, but the way they look at Mona, it unsettles me. It's like they're staring into her soul, trying to determine if she's an enemy or a friend. It is very creepy and is messing with me.

"Mother, are you an enemy to them? Are you dangerous?" Frost asked.

I turn around to face my mate and pups and look at Frost. I walk over to them and pick her up by the scruff and toss her up into the air catching her on my back in the way she loves. I hear her giggle and grab onto my fur tightly, stabilizing herself so she won't fall off my back.

"Do I seem dangerous to you, Frost? I'm just a mother who loves her pups and mate and will do anything for them." I said.

I turn back to Mona and walk over to her, and sit right in front of her, sweeping my tail over the designs she's made in the dirt.

"Mona, please stop. You're getting dirt all over your pads and they could get infected! Come with me a moment." I lead her over to the stream behind the den and help her wash off her pads. She holds up one of her paws for me to see.

"I'm fine," she said, and she's right, there's no dirt or anything on her pads. "I'm an Amazon for a reason." She said smirking a little. My eyes widen. They are anything from warriors to self-healers. Amazing that I found one in my lifetime, they're so rare. . . .

"Come again?" I asked unsure of if I had heard her right, she smiles putting her paw down.

"I'm an Amazon." I look over at Bryn, the pups, and the designs I had ruined. "I don't get why Ash hates you so much. I want to understand. . . . She's the only reason I'm alive." Mona said looking down. "Ice, our previous alpha saved Ash. . . but Ice was holding a secret. She was once a Shadow Wolf. Ash had to kill her. . . . " I lay back my ears.

"She had to what?" I asked with a tad of horror or fear in my voice.