Moonlight

"I think he's here!"

"I SWEAR, IF YOU'RE KIDDING AGAIN MATT, I'LL HIDE YOUR GAMECUBE!"

"THEN I'LL HIDE YOUR CHOCOLATE! WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT, HUH?!"

I heard the boys yell from downstairs.

It wasn't a usual day at Wanmy's. In fact, everyone had been looking forward to this... because that day L would finally return.

--------------------------------------------------

-8 years ago-

"I... I just wish I could come to Japan with you", I sobbed.

"Listen, it would be far too dangerous. Apart from that, you deserve so much more than such a dangerous life... you should follow your dreams and live a safe one."

L... I do not want a safe life, I want a life where I am with you...

We were still both children, and after several years of growing up with each other, we were nearly inseparable. It broke my heart that he would be moving to Japan to start solving cases in the name of justice. My only relief was that he wouldn't be alone, he would have Watari with him to guide and teach him all the while. Still, my heart couldn't take the distance I would feel when I would be without him.

"...do you know how much you helped me? You cheered for me during all my matches! Oh and do you remember your lessons*? You taught me quite a lot. If it wasn't for you, I would not even be able to give people a simple handshake", he smiled slightly.

"And now I can even do this!"

Before I could even prepare for it, L had planted a quick kiss on my cheek. Running my fingers over my face, I still needed a while to process what had just happened.

"L..."

"I hope you won't forget me!"

"I could never forget you..."

-------------------------------------------------------

After that horrible day, it had taken months for me to even begin to recover. Not even after all those years had I been able to forget any of that grief, it just felt like a hole had burnt into my heart without him. Back then, whenever I had been in my room crying, the boys, who had merely been toddlers at that time, had hugged and comforted me.

"Don't worry. L will come back! I know it!", a tiny Near had said in an innocent voice.

All the orphans were so close. Once I turned 18, I decided to enter university and start studying but still continue living at Wammy's to take care of them- they were like little siblings to me and I held them all very close to my heart.

"MELLO, I TOLD YOU!"

Matt's voice awakened me from my thoughts.
My heart started beating faster. This was not one of my many dreams of L returning. He was actually back.

I felt as if my heart was going to burst. It had been 8 years, the last time we saw each other, we had only been children... we had been inseparable, but what would happen now? He had probably forgotten me. Maybe L would not even recognise me, and that thought scared me because it would break my heart in an instant.

What would he look like? During his calls with the others, he had never shown his face. His voice had become very dark, of course. That's the only thing I knew about his adult self.
I was just scared that the bond between us would be broken.
It was not just friendship that I had felt towards him. I had loved him. It had been a silly crush at first, but after all those years, I realised that it was far more than that.
Though now, I was scared that it would be gone.

"LET ME GO FIRST!"

"Hey there, do not fight because of me, there is no need to."

"L!"

I breathed in slowly. I took a quick look at the mirror before I turned around and walked down the stairs.

As I turned to the left corridor at whose end the entry was, I closed my eyes for a moment before looking upon him.
And then, I couldn't control my feelings any longer.

"L..."

I stormed towards him and fell into his arms.

"I... I missed you so much...", I sobbed through my tears.

"I missed you very much too."

I felt him gently run his hands across my back.

The others had surprisingly gone silent.
They are probably throwing glances at each other right now, I thought.

But when I had seen L, I had realised that nothing had changed after all... my love for him still burned as lightly as it did all those years ago.

As I let go of him, I finally looked into his eyes.
"You haven't changed much at all!", I lit up.

"That is true. I still don't get any sleep."

Everyone started laughing.

"But you haven't either."

"I didn't think you would still recognise me."

"I would always recognise you. Even after a 100 years."

I blushed.

"So, uhh... anyone, cake?!", I heard Matt change the topic from behind.
I laughed before L and I replied in unison.

"Of course!!"

—————————

"I really cannot believe you're actually here. I thought I'd forever wait for you."

L and I had left the orphanage to rest on the meadow in its courtyard during the night- we would be watching the stars just as we did as children. The sky was entirely cloudless- and the beautifully cold light of the moon illuminated L's soft face.

"It wouldn't be nice to let a lady like you wait", L replied in a very timid voice.

"A lady like me? You surely have grown up, L!", I giggled, making L blush and pause for a while.

"The others informed me of how bad you have been feeling all these years. I can't even find sufficient words to apologise. Though I hope you know that I was only trying to protect you. You have heard of the cases I solved and the criminals I had to face."

"Yes, I understand. I just suddenly felt very lonely without you."

"But now you don't have to anymore."

"No."

L suddenly reached his hands towards me, gesturing me to hug him. This would be an odd hug like back then again, him sitting there like a frog, with me in front of him, leaning close to his chest, having my arms around him...
We just rested in that position for a while, enjoying the tranquillity when he suddenly awakened me.

As I moved away to look at him, he carefully cupped my face with his fingertips, treating it as if it was made of glass, slowly moving closer towards me. Then, his tired glare slowly moved downwards to my lips...

———————————————————-

It was such a peaceful night. Unlike most evenings during which Matt and Mello would listen loudly to Metal next door, mainly to annoy Roger...

I put my action figures back in one of my chests and turned towards the window as I lifted my teddybear off the table.

Who is this... ~ and L?

They were calmly talking to each other when L suddenly leaned in and kissed her.
Is this what love is like?

Thinking back to the time I was a little child, I remembered the state she had fallen in when L had left. She had been completely heartbroken.
By what I see she must truly love him...

Maybe Matt and Mello's presumption was correct, they might have finally become a couple after all...

————————————————————————
A/N: *the lesson aspect will be dealt with in another oneshot🖤