Seduction

A/N: This one is REALLY different from all oneshots I've published so far. I hope you still enjoy it, it was a lot of fun writing!

——————————————————————

This would be my last mission, no matter how good I was.

"You have to do this for me. Don't you remember that you still owe me something?", the voice of an older woman asked on my phone.

"Yes, Deneuve. I will take this task and manipulate him."

What a great mission. I was a professional agent specialising in manipulating targets until I would receive the information desired by my employee. However, my targets had always been criminals... I had not expected Deneuve, one of the three best detectives in the world, to hire me to defeat the best one, her rival, the greatest detective known as L...

"As far as I know, he is not an organisation but a man. That is precisely why you will be able to do this", Deneuve had said.

Months later, I finally managed to get into contact with L under the guise of working for him on a case. More than that, we worked together very closely- he was impressed by my deduction skills and deemed me a necessary help.
If only there wasn't one problem.

I fell in love with him. Pretty hard.

I could not even point out what it was. It was probably everything about him. Other people would definitely describe him as strange. L always sat like a frog, had a lanky posture, would walk with a bent back which had been sculpted by his way of sitting. L would pick up objects by his fingertips, eat sweets 24/7 and behave more than a little tactless sometimes, not knowing how to act. Everything was so special about him- he still seemed to be a helpless child at his heart. On the other hand, there was his intellect. During our first encounter, L had been able to tell nearly everything about myself only through seeing me. Fortunately, he had still not deduced that I was a double agent sent by his rival- I would have been in very big trouble. Months and months passed, I started to get really close to L, when I thought it was finally the moment Deneuve would want me to crack him.

Today was the day I finally felt like succeeding in that task. I got a bad feeling about it all, even if I would be successful, it would still mean I would fail at heart. I didn't want to defeat L for Deneuve... I wanted him for myself. I loved him.

It was time when L started talking about how other detectives perceive him during the investigation, mentioning they slander him by calling him arrogant.
"They are just jealous", I said, "and who can blame them? You are the most intelligent detective in the world. And that is an attraction they will never have."

L blushed. "Attraction?"

"Yes." My heart started beating faster. I am getting there now.
"Intelligence is the most attractive thing, you know that!", I giggled.

"You... are calling me attractive?", L asked in a perplexed way.

"Oh yes. But you are so much more than that..." I stood up and approached L smoothly.
"In fact, I would not be able to understand anyone that wouldn't go absolutely crazy about you..."

I approached L even further, so much that our bodies were now touching. His face mirrored a both slightly confused and delighted expression as I started trailing my fingers on his chest, ending up on his reddened face.
"L..."
My breathing started getting heavier.

"...I'm sorry. I cannot do this."
I sighed as I turned around.
"This is supposed to have been fabricated.
L... I have been sent by Deneuve to spy on you."

As I glanced over my shoulder, I discovered that L's face was bearing a neutral expression as always.
"You see... I am an agent specialised in this kind of manipulation. She specifically ordered me to get close to you to lure information from you. I admit this, but I also have to admit that none of what happened was played..."

"I know."

"You do? I thought you wouldn't believe me... how can you be certain?"

L approached me until our faces were just a few inches apart. There was no expression in his eyes I could decipher- he was very good at hiding emotions.
L gently grasped my right wrist and leaned in to whisper into my ear.

"Your body."

I blushed. My...
"...pulse!"

"But of course, this must be a stress situation so this fact alone wasn't enough for me to make sure", L hummed into my ear, then leaning back to look me in the eyes again.
"It's your eyes."

My eyes widened as I realised. Of course.

"There are two situations in which human pupils widen. The obvious one is in low light circumstances. The second is when an individual feels desire towards whatever it is looking at."

I lowered my head as my face reddened and sighed, turning him my back again and taking a few steps away.
"I am sorry. I'm so unprofessional. In all of my missions, I was able to seduce criminals with ease. Of course, I had no mental bond to them whatsoever, that made it easy for me. But I cannot say that about you." I turned around again.
"The last thing I expected to happen is to fall in love with my target. Deneuve will fire me."

Silence.
After a while, L began calmly.
"Actually..."

I turned around.
"Actually...?"

"You wouldn't have heard of the detective battles since they've been kept secret."

"Detective battles?"

"Yes. They took place when I was twelve years old. I defeated both Erald Coil and Deneuve and took their names."

I lowered my head in misbelief.
"Don't tell me..."

"Yes. I am Deneuve. I ordered you to do all this."

"L, what on earth?! For what reason?!"

"Isn't it obvious? I wanted to test you, to see if you're as great as I thought. You're not simply that, you're excellent at investigating. You also couldn't forsee personal feelings would get in the way, it's not your fault.
I wanted to see if I could hire you in my next cases and rely on you. Judging by your abilities, I'd definitely accept but...
it seems my emotions got in the way too."

L turned around to look at me. It was the first time I actually saw his face showing the hint of sadness.
"Now that I... have emotions, I don't think I can assign you to seduce other people. Seeing such things would make me grow irrational and emotional. I cannot afford to have such a strong weakness."

I approached him with big eyes and pulled him into a loving hug. "L... I won't try to seduce other people, I promise...
Also..."

"Hm?"

"We both messed up pretty bad at our jobs this time", I giggled.

"Yes", L replied, his voice sounding amused now. "I cannot say I regret it though. It is a mistake I was automatically determined to make. I think I love you..."

The last five words had sounded very shy. I giggled about his cuteness.
"I love you too, and that just was one of the reasons why!"

"What do you mean?"

I pulled away from the hug to cup his face and look into his eyes.
"From one second to another, you can go from sexy and mysterious detective to the sweetest and most innocent person in the world!"

"Really? Well, even so... I would still find it interesting for you to, independent of a case, seduce me one day..."