Chapter 20 - Nate

I jerk awake in bed and blink rapidly at my surroundings. It's still pitch black outside and a glance at my alarm clock tells me it's only 3am. What the hell woke me up?

I get my answer immediately after the thought when I hear a banging noise. I tilt my head and realize it's coming from my front door.

"What the fuck?" I mumble and throw off my blankets. I get up from my bed and stumble my way to the living room, rubbing my eye in circles. The banging resumes and irritation makes my skin prickle."Coming!"

Who in their right mind would be at my door so goddamn late? I don't even think to check through the peephole in the haze that I'm in and unlock my door, swinging it open and ready to rip a new one at my visitor.

"Del?" I blink slowly. I'm starting to think I'm dreaming or some shit. Del is usually in all of them anyways.

"Sorry to bother you." Her voice is meek and hoarse and it's only then do I realize she has tears streaming down her face. I'm instantly awake and I take a step forward to grip her arms.

"What happened?" I inspect every inch of her, from her obvious bedhead down to her toes which are blue this week.

"Can you take me to the hospital?" She swallows soundly. "My water broke."

It takes a second for the words to register and then my eyes widen. "Oh, shit."

"I'm sorry." She swipes at her cheeks and eyes. "I'm too distraught to drive myself and I don't want to risk anything like last..."

Like last time.

"Of course I'll take you. Let me put on a shirt." I usher her inside and her eyes briefly drop down to my naked torso. She looks away quickly and I try not to smile at her obvious shyness. "Do you have an overnight bag set?"

"It's in my room."

"Okay. We'll grab it." I jog to my room and throw open my closet, grabbing the first shirt my hands touch. I pull it on and grab my keys and wallet from my bedside table and put my phone in the pocket of my sweatpants. When I come back out, Delilah's standing exactly where I left in her and in a total daze. She's freaking out.

"Hey." I catch her chin and turn her face towards me. Her skittering gaze meets mine. "He's going to be fine. You can do this."

"I don't know if I can." She mumbles and looks so broken that my own chest aches. I cup her face and make sure her eyes stay on me.

"You absolutely can. You are the most kickass woman I know. No matter what you go through, you stay kind and good and optimistic. Zack is so lucky to have you as a mom and I bet he's excited as hell to meet you. Let's not keep the little man waiting, yeah?"

She nods and suddenly cries out, doubling over as she clutches her stomach. I curse under my breath.

"Come here." I guide her to my couch and make her sit. Her face is scrunched up and she's taking rapid breaths. Fuck, I wish I could do something to take her pain away. "Hang on, Del. I'm going to grab the overnight bag real quick, okay?"

I don't know if she hears me but I have no choice but to run out of my apartment and into hers. Thankfully, I still have the keg Greta gave me so I'm able to get in. I head straight for her room and grab the bag from underneath her bed as well as her phone and her wallet which are on her dressing table. I open one of the drawers and spy one of her cardigans, slinging it over my shoulder before leaving the room. I grab her shoes that are right by the front door and then lock it behind me, running back to my apartment.

"How we doing?" I make my way over to her.

"The contraction passed." She answers, out of breath and limp against the couch. "We need to time it."