Chapter 2

"Elisabetta, can I ask you a favor?" Carlisle asked me.

"Of course, old friend, whatever you need." I replied.

"My family is in danger and . . ."

"Carlisle, I don't know if that's a good idea." his wife told him.

"With her on our side, we can't lose." he replied.

"Why do I have a feeling that this has to do with my fathers?" I asked him.

"It does, let's get out of the rain so that we can talk." he said.

The three of us walked into a bistro together, shaking out our umbrellas at the door and finding an empty table at the back. I ordered a steaming tea, thanking everything Holy that I don't have to drink it, it really smells bad but we have to keep up pretenses. The only human aspect that I retained was my eye color and part of a bitchy personality. My humanity, that I did keep as well, I can't condone violence for violence's sake.

"Okay, tell me what this is all about." I told him, not removing my sunglasses.

Ten minutes later I was in shock, I can see why this is dangerous. I'm not entirely sure that I believe his story yet at the same time I really want to. There is just too much here that couldn't possibly . . . there is no way to make this kind of story up.

"Will you help us?" he asked.

"I need to meet the child first." I told him, not entirely sure about this plan of his.

"Of course, we were just heading home today." Esme worriedly said.

"I guess I'm checking out, please tell your family who I am before we get there. I wouldn't want to cause any problems. Non voglio guai, I don't want trouble." I told her, knowing how skeptical she is.

"Of course, I'll give my son a call while you get your things. Thank you, so much Elisabetta." He said.

"Do not thank me yet, Carlisle, I have not decided." I told him.

"Just for coming, going against him is a big risk. I thank you for that." he replied, pulling my seat out for me.

"Always the gentleman, I shall meet you here in 10 minutes. Most likely, less than that." I told him.

"Take your time." Esme softly replied.

I could hear them talking while I walked away, I could hear the doubt, the fear and worry in their voices. Esme was voicing her doubts about including me and I can't blame her. The few people who know who I am and live to tell the tale tend to keep away from me. It's for their own safety so I can't begrudge them for that.

At the hotel, I told the manager that there was a family emergency and that I had to leave. I offered to pay for my stay anyway and he only charged me for one night, he was charmed by my accent.

"Carlisle, as much as I would love to help you do you think it is a good idea? You have been collecting witnesses and I don't want any of them to leave because of my presence." I asked when we met up again.

"My son agrees that having you on our side will work wonders."

"Se insisti." I told him. (If you insist)

He grabbed my two suitcases and put them in the trunk of his car. The drive to Forks where they live wasn't that long considering how he drove. It took us about an hour to get there, for a normal human it would've been somewhere around four and a half hours, maybe.

When we arrived at the house there was a group of people outside. It's as much for the issue at hand as it is about who I am. A few people here are familiar faces; some that I've meant and some that I've seen through others. My gift is as handy as it is inconvenient at times. I kept my sunglasses on as to not cause discomfort in anyone but I waited by the car as I was introduced.

"How many came?" Carlisle asked his son.

"Eighteen, you have some good friends. Is that her?" his son replied.

"You all know and have heard of Elisabetta before and . . ." Carlisle began.

"This is ridiculous! You've brought his daughter here!. We'll all be on Aro's list now for sure. Centuries on the run, that's what you've brought me. Some friend Carlisle." Alistair said, running and stopping at the tree line when he saw me.

"I come in peace, Alistair. Much as you do." I told him.

"Alistair, come to meet everyone." Carlisle said.

"I already told you if it comes to a fight, I won't stand against the Volturi." Alistair replied.

"I will and you won't?" I asked the companionless vampire with a raised eyebrow.

"It won't come to a fight." Carlisle told both of us.

"As you wish." I replied.

"I'll be in the attic." Alistair said.

"He's not a people person." Esme told the group when Alistair left.

"Eleazar, it is quite nice to see you again." I told him.

"It's wonderful to see you again as well." he replied, pulling me in for a hug. He's one of if not the only person allowed to do that.

"I take it she is Carmen, I've heard many a good thing about you. You're just as beautiful as he said." I told her.

"Thank you." she muttered.

"She is my mate." he said as the woman cowered behind him.

"I mean what I said to Alistair, I come in peace. Carlisle asked for a favor and who am I to deny a friend a favor? Especially when I have so few." I told the group.

"I'm Edward, I take it Carlisle spoke to you of our dilemma." his son said, taking the lead.

"Yes, he did. She is a beautiful child." I replied.

"Thank you, will you let her show you her story?" he asked, walking towards me with the child.

"Show me? How so?" I asked.

"My daughter can project her thoughts." a woman said.

"You are her mother?" I asked, shocked.

"Yes, I carried her as a human. I'm Bella." she insisted.

"It seems your daughter and I share a gift. As do you and I." I told Edward.

"Both gifts?" Edward asked.

"Yes, I can hear thoughts and project my own. I can project images as well, much as Zafrina can." I said, spying the woman near the back of the group.

"How is it possible?" Carlisle asked.

"Apparently my parents were gifted humans, Aro raised me as his own with his brothers and turned me when I turned 17." I informed them.

"Do you mind speaking to me a little later?" Carlisle, always the scholar asked.

"Of course, whenever you wish."

"What's with the sunglasses? It's not sunny here at all." a tall, muscular guy asked.

"Emmett!" Esme scolded.

"It is an interesting facet that I retained of my human life when I turned into a vampire." I replied.

"What is it then?" the muscular man's mate asked.

"My eye color, Aro believes I was so attached to my humanity that for some reason I kept more of the physical aspects of my former self than your normal vampire does."

"Can we see?" Esme asked.

"Carlisle, you have not seen either." I told him with a smile.

"No, I left before you completed your transition. After that you always had the sunglasses." he said.

With a shake of my head and a small smile, I pulled the oversized sunglasses off. The gasps are something that I'm used to. My eyes turned this shade of green that in the light looks light brown or hazel, that is the correct color.