Why can't anything be simple? Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

"Thanks," I said and gave him a smile. "I'm sorry I'm being such a bitch today. I'm just not feeling well and the whole mum issue doesn't really help much,"

"It's ok. Let's just say I'm used to it by now," actually, he probably would be by now.

"Well, I'd better be heading back now. It's getting late, I'm so tired, plus we've got school tomorrow," then I turned around ready to leave.

"What about our walk?"

"Maybe next time, when I'm not in a shitty mood."

"OK, well, see you tomorrow then," and he walked off too.

It was getting really late and dark. I didn't even reach my door when the moon was out.

When I got in the kitchen I saw my little sister, Lily on the kitchen bench. She was doing homework, but when she noticed me coming through the door she started shaking her head at me.

Lily is 11, 5 years younger than me. She has long and straight, light brown hair that she got from dad unlike me, who got really long and wavy, dark brown hair from my mum. Some of our features are roughly the same like the fact that we both have green eyes, but our personalities are completely different. Lily is more of an upfront person. If she hates someone, she'll be as bitchy to her or him (even it) as possible. Where as if I want to be a bitch, I do it secretly, so no one suspects anything. Also, I'm a bit of a shy person. I don't mean one of those really quiet people that don't talk at all and always follow someone. No. I mean one of those people who feel absolutely sick standing in front of a big audience and giving speeches or presentations.

That is partly the reason I like being in a band, playing the drums. Because you are in the back, no one can really see you and if you stuff up no one will be close enough to see your face.

Our band is called 'Fake CD's'. I don't even remember how we came up with that name. All I know is, I didn't think of it. As I've already mentioned, I'm the drummer, Ella sings, April's on the keyboards, Nick plays bass and Dave plays the guitar. I have to admit we sound pretty good. We haven't actually played anywhere yet, we're still stuck in Ella's garage, but Nick is trying to get us out there lately. He's trying to have a few mini gigs here and there so we can get ready for the 'Battle of the Bands' competition. He hasn't even asked us if we even want to participate yet. Not that he cares about our opinions.

 "Mum wants to talk to you Mia. What have you done this time?" Lily said with a smirk.

"Oh, shut up Lily," I replied quietly so no one would hear me. "Where is she?"

"She's in your room. You know, I always knew you two wouldn't get along," then she looked back down at her work. See what I meant when I said she can be a really upfront bitch?

"Where have you been Mia?" mum asked as I walked into my room.

"At the park, why?" I replied. God! It should've been obvious by now that I go to the park when I get pissed at her.

"You know, I was worried sick about you god damn it! Mia! You can't just keep running off when things get hard... blah blah blah.

Then I just sort of shut out. I've only heard this lecture about a million times. I won't be missing anything.

"Ok Mia?" she finally finished.

"Yes mum, I understand, it won't happen again," I said, although I didn't really believe it.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

That night I went to sleep so early. I don't actually think I've gone to bed so early before. I think I dozed off around seven o'clock, that's why I'm up so early. It's around six in the morning and everyone is asleep, which is an absolute first considering I'm always up around ten or eleven in the morning. I don't know how the rest of them can get up so early. It's hell. It's still dark outside and there is nothing to do. It's also quiet cold even though it's only half way through autumn.

I went up to my room, grabbed my jacket and ran back down stairs.

"What should I do?" am I ok? Did I just talk to myself? Note to self; never wake up before eight in the morning.

With that I ran outside. I might as well watch the sunrise since I'll probably never get up this early again.

Slowly, I walked up to the hill and sat on the swing.

Well, at least I got one good thing out of getting up so early. The sky looks so beautiful. I can see so many different colours. It's so nice seeing small sun rays slowly lighting up the place.

After about half an hour or so, I decided to go for a small walk around the park and look around. I haven't actually seen the whole place. How sad is that? I've probably been to this park about a million times but I haven't actually gone past this hill.

After a while of walking I got pretty bored and decided to start heading back home.

"Good morning sunshine!" dad said as soon and my foot went through the door way and handed me a mug with Milo.

"Hey dad. What's with the Milo and the 'good morning sunshine'?" dad never gives us Milo. He's usually really grumpy in the morning. So it's quiet natural for me to be curious.

"Nothing. Does something good have to happen for me to give my daughter a happy greeting?" he asked innocently.

I eyed him curiously. He was so lying. He wants something. I can tell. Whenever he twiddles his fingers, he's lying. "What do you want dad?"

"Why would I want anything sweetheart?" I waited for exactly four seconds. "Ok, ok. Mia, I need you to do a favour for me. Please?"

"How can I tell you if I'll do it if I haven't even heard what you want yet?" I replied.

"Ah, Yeh. You're right. Um... well... Would you be able to baby sit your sister and your cousins the coming weekend? I'm planning to give your mum a surprise for out twentieth anniversary," he said hopefully.

"What! I wouldn't last a minute with just Lily. What will happen to me with all of them?" I whispered so no one would hear me and wake up.

I have two cousins. A boy and a girl, and they're both little devils. The boy is ten and the girl is nine. They're not mean to everyone. Just me. And why? Because Lily's the head devil. She controls them. I won't last thirty seconds with them. Once their parents drop them off and tell them to behave for me, their evil plans will begin.

"Come on Mia, please? Think of your mum at least. It's only one day. What's wrong with those little angels? They won't bite," then he chuckled! He thinks this is a joke! 'They won't bite' bullshit. They won't only bite; they'll end up killing me or driving me mad. Either way it'll be like I'm dead. If I go mad, either no one will bother listening to me, or, they will end up regretting their decision by leaving me at home alone with them and just send to a home for loonies anyway. Then, they'll forget about me and only visit once every year.

 What am I getting myself into? I could invite a friend to help me. But honestly, who would risk their lives for me?

"I'll pay you," dad bribed. That kind of caught my attention, but it depends on how much. It needs to cover my health insurance as well, for when something bad happens.

"How much?" I asked.

"How about, $10?" dad suggested. NO WAY! As if. He asks me to risk my life for only $10? I reckon $30 should do the job.

"How about $30?" it's not like I was being unfair or anything.

"Come on Mia, they're not that bad," I gave him my forget-about-it-then look. "Fine, $30, but only if you do a good job ok? Do we have a deal?" he said holding out his hand.

"Hang on, can you pay for my health insurance too?" I asked.

"What?" dad looked confused and put his arm down.

"Don't worry," I took his hand and shook it, "We have ourselves a deal."

I have just received a death token.

**Hey guys, bare with me for the first few chapters, I had to introduce everything...It gets better later on though...Thanks for reading and if you have any suggestions, feel free to comment :)

xoxo