Chapter Thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

I was finally done with my crutches and able to walk on my own two feet again. I knew it took some of the guilt off of Cameron's shoulders and I was glad. He didn't need to beat himself up over it along with everything else that was going on. He repeatedly told me how he blamed himself for that night. Now the reminder was gone so he could finally move on.

Things with Noah had been much better since we talked and I was honest with him. All of my fears about telling him, every bad thing I thought would come to pass, didn't. It only brought us closer and I was so grateful that I didn't lose him. A weight had been taken off my shoulders, the truth was freeing. Now all I needed was some answers.

Waiting for a response from our birth parents was like watching paint dry, except the stakes were higher. Every minute I was on edge, my phone in reach.

"Hey," I jumped and slammed my locker shut as Noah appeared behind me. "Hey, sorry I didn't mean to scare you." A worried look laced his face, his hand entwining with mine.

"It's okay, I just didn't sleep very well last night so I'm a bit jumpy." I squeezed his hand and let myself relax as I stared into his hazel eyes. Words hung on the tip of my tongue and I forced them to slip through my lips. "Do you want to do something tonight? We could watch a movie or go for a drive."

"That sounds great," he swung my hand, changing his hold. "We could do a little of both? I can pick you up and then we can watch a movie at my place?"

I nodded, feeling a warmth spread through my cheeks. Absentmindedly I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, hiding the self-conscious feeling that was brewing in the pit of my stomach. Noah leaned against the lockers, his chest brushing against my shoulder. Subconsciously his fingers played with mine.

"No word yet?" He asked hesitantly, testing the waters. There were so many times when I just didn't feel like talking about what was going on and Noah understood that. He tried his best to stray from the topic of my adoption but I could tell it was killing him not to ask. He was worried for me and Cameron. Afraid that he would be left while our world crumbled down around us and all he would be able to do was watch.

"No," I scuffed my boot against the file floor, creating a black skid mark. "Waiting sucks."

"I'm sure you'll hear soon." He tried to reassure me, but he didn't know what the future would bring. How could he? He was only human after all. A frown tugged at my lips. As hard as I tried to smile, I couldn't. Sometimes it just seemed impossible. My mind was reeling with endless possibilities. Maybe they didn't want to know us. Maybe we'd never know. "Come on, smile. I hate seeing you so down."

"I'm sorry," I pouted, trying to think happy thoughts. "I know I've been a drag lately."

Noah nudged my shoulder, shaking his head disapprovingly. "No, you haven't. I just like it when you smile."

Just when I thought it was impossible Noah came to the rescue, desperate to turn my frown upside down. Just like that, I was smiling. I also couldn't help but blush.

"See? Was that so hard?" He kissed my forehead and slid my books out from under my arm, getting ready to walk to class just as the bell rang. I followed his lead, skipping to keep up. My hand traveled down to my pocket, only to find it empty. My phone was inside my locker.

"I forgot my phone, I'll meet you in class." I started back towards my locker before he could answer but out of the corner of my eye, I saw him look back before hesitantly walking to class, my books in hand.

I fiddled with my locker, singing the short tune in my head I'd come up with to remember my combination. I heard the satisfying click and the lock popped open. There was my phone, sitting on the ledge right where I'd left it. It was a source of comfort, knowing at any time I could pull it out and let it be a distraction. Relief washed over me as I put it back in my pocket.