Chapter Eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN

It's just a date, I told myself. My heart pounded in my chest. Noah was acting as a distraction from thinking about the message that Cameron and I sent our birth parents, the nervousness our date brought was better than the alternative. Every time I had thought about it I'd wanted to rip my hair out.

Although it didn't mean that I wasn't anxious about our date. I liked Noah, I just wanted things to go well.

My hands shook at my sides as I looked at myself in the mirror. I slipped on a cardigan and pulled my curled hair out from underneath. I felt overdressed, my legs and the wrap around my ankle on show. At least the swelling had gone down so I could wear my flats.

"Going somewhere?" Cameron leaned in my doorway, one eyebrow raised.

"Um yeah... Noah is taking me out for dinner." I wrapped my arms around myself, already starting to feel self-conscious about what I was wearing.

"You look really pretty Sammy," he assured me, sitting down on my bed.

"Thanks." I sat down beside him and nudged his shoulder. "Have you heard anything?"

"Oh no, not yet. It's only been about 24 hours." He bit his lip, he was just as anxious as I was for an answer. "The anticipation is killing me. Why don't they read it already?"

"Maybe it's just as stressful for them as it is for us." I laid my head on his shoulder. "Can we promise we won't let this come between us?"

"Yeah, I promise." He held out his pinkie finger and I wrapped mine around his.

I smiled, "I promise too."

"Samara! Noah's here for you!" Mom shouted up the stairs.

My heart leaped and anxiety shot through me, paralyzing me. It's just Noah, I tried to tell myself.

"Well go!" Cameron pushed my shoulder, trying to make me feel better but if anything it made me feel worse.

"Right," I gulped. I grabbed my crutches with shaking hands and smoothed my dress.

"Hey, it'll go great don't worry. You both really like each other." Cameron rubbed my back. "What are you worried about?"

"I don't know, everything?" I looked away, feeling defeated already. "Were you scared to go on your first date with Mickey?"

"Yeah, dead scared. She's a scary woman." He chuckled. "But seriously I was. Just be yourself. Noah likes you for you."

"You're right." I wiped my eyes, careful not to ruin my mascara. "Okay, I'll see you later."

I carefully went down the stairs and rounded the corner to the front door. Noah's back faced me as he talked with my mom. I had seen Noah dressed up many times, but there was something about him being dressed up for me that made shivers run down my spine. He spun around to face me and his eyes locked with mine. I watched a big smile come to his face.

"Hey," I muttered, slightly taken aback.

"Hey, you uh- you look beautiful." He ran his hand through his hair and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Thank you." I blushed. I wrapped my hands tighter around my crutches, starting to feel like I was slipping. I took a deep breath and looked back up at him. "You're not so shabby yourself."

"Are you ready to go?" He asked.

I nodded, forcing a smile. "Yeah, let's go."

"Have fun you two!" Mom waved enthusiastically. I got the feeling she wanted this date to go well as much as I did. "And don't stay out too late, eleven o'clock curfew on weekends."