Still looking at the screen and studying the information of the small black SUV he says, "So has Gary said anything like he wants to marry you?"

Her cheeks turn instant red. Nothing like a straight forward question. "Uh, well, umm." She swallows hard. "Yeah I guess you could say that."

Only now does he look at her. And with raised eyebrows. "He has, has he? And that's all that's ever happened with it?"

The end of her fingernails are really uneven! How did that happen? She doesn't say a word, but a smile can't be kept from the corners of her lips.

"Well?" Jeremiah presses. He has his own sort of half smirk half smile resting on his lips. Oh! And his raised eyebrows is a testament to just how much fun he is having watching his little sister squirm. 

"He's been busy."

Throwing his head back Jeremiah gives a hearty laugh. "Too busy to make a move on such a drastic thing involving two lives, huh." Lightly he pulls her to his side to one arm around her shoulders. 
***

Deep breaths. In and out. Wipe the hands on the pants and try to relax.

One, two, three knocks on the door. Gary rubs his palms together in nervous anticipation. Finally, after what seems like thirty minutes, but is only about a minutes, Mrs. Kendall opens the door with a beaming smile.

"Gary! It sure is good to see you. Come on in!" She steps around into the living room. "Ward, honey, Gary is here!"

Mr. Kendall comes around the corner to shake Gary's hand with a broad smile on his hand. "Well, good to see you! To what do we own this pleasure?"

Gary swallows hard. "Well, I was hoping we could talk."

There is a twinkle in Ward's eye as he motions Gary to follow him. He takes the younger man through the house and out onto the back patio. Taking a seat in one metal chair he motions to the other for Gary. 

Gary takes the seat and runs his palms across his thighs trying desperately for them to quit sweating. He clears his throat. "Well, I'll save us both some grief and just get to the point. I would like your permission to marry Brooke, if she will have me." He doesn't give the older gentleman time to reply before continuing. "I know I'm not your favorite guy in the world and I also know what my dad has said about there never being a guy good enough for his daughter from his point of view. But-" 

"Gary, you've said enough," Ward cuts him off. He grins and extends his hand. As Gary takes his hand with a confused expression on his face Ward says, "I reckon she could have done a whole lot worse." 

This caused large grins to settle on both men's faces. 

"Thank you," Gary breathes with a sigh of relief. 

Ward leans back in the chair and stares off in the distance. "I haven't been your biggest fan and haven't done a good job of hiding that, but you have taken it all in stride. Much better than I would have when I was your age. You have a good head on your shoulders and I'll venture to say that Brooke thinks so too." 

"I sure hope so." Gary can't stop grinning. He isn't sure if he was more nervous before or after getting the go ahead, but there is no backing out now. 
***

Jaelyn is sweating. Not because it is hot outside, well it is, but she's inside so that's not why she's sweating. No, Gary said he is thirty minutes out and she can not get Brooke to come out to her house. She's tried bribing with her food, telling her she needs help, demanding that she does, and none of it is working! Finally she picks up her phone. 

After about six rings there is a groggy, "Hello?" 

She lets out a breath. "Jeremiah, are you in town?"