Chapter 18

Slowly, but surely Gary's gaze follows the older model grey four door Dodge pickup as it crawls through the hotel parking lot. Instead of walking through the automatic doors of the hotel lobby he moseys back in the general direction of his own pickup. All the while he tries not to appear as though he is watching the strangely familiar pickup.

As he approaches his pickup the grey Dodge pulls in just one spot down. Gary cranes his neck around to see who gets out; even though it makes him feel slightly stalkerish. His eyes grow wide and his eyebrows shoot up in surprise. Barely audible his lips form one word, "Cane."

His steps are stretched out and backed by a mission. In just a few long strides he is waiting as the banged up drivers door opens. The look of surprise on his little brother's face is enough to make his lips instantly perk up in a broad grin.

"Well I'll be!" A broad grin spreads on Cane's lips as he firmly shakes his big brother's hand. Then he pulls him into a bear hug. "It's been too long," he mumbles.

After the brotherly hug Gary looks Cane in the eye and tenderly says, "You aren't kidding."

"I'm real sorry I wasn't here for Peter's service. He was a great guy and friend." Cane's expression holds many different emotions. Far more than Gary wants to try to read.

Gary nods. "Thanks, Cane."

There is a moment when neither of them speak. Then Cane grins widely and bumps Gary. "Little Lynn's keeping the family tribe going; don't you think you should start working that way."

Even though he knows Cane is only joking Gary doesn't crack a smile. He lets a sigh escape him and looks the two inches up into his brother's eyes. "That's a story in and of itself." He doesn't mean for his words to be harsh, but as soon as they leave his lips he knows they are.

With a sympathetic yet slightly playful look Cane says, "I got an AC and all the time in the world." Then turning serious he adds, "I know I'm not at the top of the list for those to take advice from, but I can at least listen."

So the brothers climb in the Dodge. Cane starts it and cranks the AC up as far as it will go. Then he playfully stares at Gary until he begins to speak.

This makes Gary crack the smallest of grins. "You remember Little Lynn's best friend Brooke, right?"

Cane's eyebrows shoot up and his eyes get as big as saucers. "Gary, you're kidding right?"

This makes Gary chuckle a little. "Last time I checked I don't joke around about stuff like that."

"Are you seriously telling me that you two are together?" Cane's deep voice is filled with surprise and shock. "I mean if so, that's great. I just would never have thought of y'all together."

"Cane, don't put your cart before your horse." After a chuckle Gary looks up. "Where do I start? Besides of course that nothing is official."

With a teasing grin, like when they were kids, Cane smarts, "The beginning is usually a good place to start."

Gary rolls his eyes and punches Cane's forearm. "Alright smart butt, you aren't being of much help. So, the beginning, I guess it started when I moved in with Little Lynn and Tyson. Brooke came over to hang out with Little Lynn and stuff and we started talking and all that good stuff." He starts laughing. "Little Lynn told me I had to have a date to the summer carnival thingy or she was going to find one for me."

"She hooked you up with Brooke, didn't she?" It comes out as more of a statement then a question.

A sheepish grin tugs at the edges of Gary's lips. "Well, in a round about way, I guess." He watches as his brother's eyebrows perk up in question. "I asked her to the carnival."