Chapter 24

Gary turns the corner, off of the busy Fort Stockton road onto the not so populated one, and is slightly taken back. An extra vehicle is crowded in front of Brooke's house. He pulls up in the last space, big enough for his long bed pickup, and cuts the engine. His heart rate picks up with anticipation of of seeing Brooke, and whatever is happens to be the reason for the extra vehicles.

As his knuckles wrap on the door he isn't sure if he should smile or put on his confused face. With in a few moments he can hear a commotion of voices and chairs moving before Jeremiah appears at the door with a smirk and firm handshake.

"You couldn't have timed it better," Jeremiah tells him, his voice holds a teasing tone.

Gary's smile is small and slightly forced as he steps inside following the silent instructions of Jeremiah's long arm. He can hear the commotion more clearly now as only one wall separates him from it. It is hard to decipher if it is a fight or excitement going on.

Jeremiah steps around the wall into the living-dining room and catches Brooke's eye. She barely heard the knock and was too engaged on winning the game of Wahoo to care who it is. That is until she catches the look in her big brothers eyes and a new excitement runs through her. Pushing past those around her and then Jeremiah himself she grins widely at the look on her boyfriend's face. She breathes in his woodsy scent as he wraps her in a hug.

"You seem pretty chipper today," he comments as she smile up at him.

She can't help the laugh that escapes her. "I guess you could say that I get a little competitive with my family."

"I can't see that coming from you." He adds a wink as he takes her hand in his. "You failed to mention all of your family was coming down."

Still wound up she sarcastically replies, "Too scary are they?" She laughs when he rolls his eyes at her. "Well, that would be because I didn't know they were until they pulled up."

This makes him smile a little wider. "Oh I see, well, do I get to meet this family of yours?"

Her smile only grows as she takes his hand and leads him around the end of the wall were the chaos comes to view. For a few very short moments the noise continues, until Jeremiah coughs the slightest bit. All eyes turn to the doorway.

"Mom, Dad, this is Gary. Gary this is my mom Hannah, and my dad Ward."

Gary removes his hat before shaking Mrs. Kendall's hand. "Nice to meet you." He does the same with her dad only Brooke has removed his hat from his hand to put it up.

"Brooke has told us a lot about you," Ward says, a sly look hanging in his eyes. It doesn't leave much room to wonder were Jeremiah gets it.

Gary feels himself swallow harder than usual. A smile spreads across his face though. "I have to say, in a way, I feel as though I know you. My sister, Jaelyn, talked about y'all a lot and now Brooke fills me in."

Hannah smiles warmly. "It's been all good things, I hope." There is twinkle in her eye as well, only hers doesn't appear quite so mischievous.

"Oh, yes ma'am. Lots about your homemade cheese cake."

Ward chuckles. "You don't need to eat any of it. It isn't a bit of good." He winks at his wife as she playfully slaps his arm.

Brooke wraps her arm around Gary's and grins. "Mom, didn't you bring one?"

A grin that matches Brooke's spreads across Hannah's face. "I sure did! I'm thinking now, though, that I should run to the store and get the stuff to make another one. Would you like to come with me? That will give the men some time to talk about whatever it is they talk about."