C h a p t e r T h i r t e e n

Photo: Romanov children 1912

September 1912
I looked around my old room or well the small pairs infirmary. The things that belonged to me were wiped clean. I walked around the room making sure the ladies in waiting didn't forget anything. I looked at my empty bed or should I say cot. No pillows, no fancy mattresses just a army cot with blankets. I sighed leaving the room and closing the door behind me as Anfisa waited for me. She walked me to the front of our palace that was located in St Petersburg.

We made it outside and I watched as a bunch of cars and carriages were lined up ready to take Maria Feodorovna and me. I saw Mama and the Tsar waiting to bid me goodbye. Behind them stood Alexei and OTMA in order at the end.

Mama had a handkerchief wiping her tears away. She came up to me giving me a hug. She sobbed in my arms. I hugged her back but for what felt like a while we stood there in each other's embraces. She finally let go and I asked her the only question that came to mind, "How long will I be gone?"I asked her. But the question seemed to upset my sweet, sweet mama more and started sobbing harder.

The Tsar came up to us and gave me a kiss on the cheek. "My darling, we aren't sure how long you will be gone but we will see you quite frequently." He explained. I nodded my head giving him a hug as he took Mama into his embrace. She held onto him unable to control her emotions. I moved on walking to Olga as she gave me a hug and a small smile, "This is for you.". She handed me a picture of the Grand Duchesses and me. It was taken on the standart, when we were going to England.

I smiled back and looked at the picture. Olga was smiling as Tatiana was laughing as she had her arm around Olga's pulling her closer. After Tatiana stood me. Tatiana had one arm around mine pulling me closer to her. I was looking at Tatiana as Marie held my hand smiling, I recalled she did it at a solider that made funny faces behind the camera.  Anastasia was sticking out her tongue holding Marie's hand.

I approached Tatiana as she took me into her embrace. She put something into my empty palm. "Don't forget to write me letters."she warned. I giggled, "Don't forget to visit me once in a while.". She gave me a sad smile as I moved on to Marie. She and Anastasia gave me a hug. They gave me a painting as a gift. It was a vase of roses with a blue background. "Since we won't be sharing a room anymore you'll have to decorate a new one."Marie shyly uttered. I gave her a smile and gave the little pair a hug or at least tried to, with all the things I had.

I said my farewells as Maria Feodorovna got into the carriage first and I followed her. I handed the servants the painting I got and kept the picture and item Tatiana gave me in hand. When the carriage started to moved I started to wave goodbye. I watched as Mama cried in the Tsars arms. Olga waved goodbye while holding Tatiana's hand as she started to weep.

I felt tears prickling down my cheeks. I was a little taken back. I didn't expect to miss them so much but I did. I was going to miss my Mama and my siblings. Even the Tsar, although he wasn't around much. I watched as little Anastasia started to run after the Carriage followed by Alexei. I felt more tears darling to run down. All Maria Feodorovna did was sitting while watching this all play out.

Very soon the image of the palace was gone and I sat in silence with Maria Feodorovna while quietly sobbing. I felt guilt. I was so rude to my dear sisters. They did nothing wrong but I had to act rude. "You are really going to miss them?"I heard Maria asked. I kept my eyes on the picture and nodded my head yes. "You know my darling I'm doing this for your own safety. God only knows what Rasputin did to brainwash you into thinking such nonsense. As well as the things he did to you."She quieted down on the last part.

"But why Denmark? Don't you live in Russia?"I asked. She took a deep breath, "Who knows of what this man is capable of doing? I am disappointed with your fathers actions towards controlling the man. I don't feel well about having you in Russia when you are not well and riots are breaking out. We don't need any more new rumors spreading."

I appreciated her concerns but that still didn't comfort me. "Valentina, I know this is hard for you and you barely know me but please give me a chance."she muttered placing her hand on mine. I looked up at her as she offered a smile. I smiled at her back knowing I had someone who understand the problem with Rasputin.

I took a proper look at Maria Feodorovna. She did really look like my grandmama from 2018. They were identical except the hair my grandmama's was grey and short. "Am I going to have to learn Danish?"I ask. Maria laughed and shook her head,"It would be useful to know.".

I watched the town of St Petersburg around us. It looked very weird but very beautiful at the same time. It was weird seeing people dressed a older way. People stared riled up around yelling or trying just to look at us. Maria Feodorovna sat still not paying attention to the crowd. I looked around and smiled at the common people. I used to be one of them. Living a simple life unaware of where the future would lead me. I started to wave at them too.

When we reached Maria's yacht crowds of people were blocked off by police and officers. We boarded the boat. I daydreamed as I leaned against the ship looking at the water as I did the first time. The boat's horn went off. I knew we were leaving Russia. A tear was brave enough to go down my cheek as we started to sail away. I didn't know why I felt this way. I known the people less then a month meeting them at the start of September when didn't wake up to the sound of my alarm clock.