C h a p t e r N i n e

Picture: The Big Pair 1912/1913

September 1912
I opened my eyes and in my vision I saw a ceiling. I tried to sit up but quickly was pulled back into the bed I was laying in. The covers got knocked off of me a little and I saw the straps that held me to the bed. I looked around the room. It had blue walls with religious signs and symbols everywhere. I looked over and saw a woman sleeping uncomfortably on the tiny couch.

I didn't know what to do so I tried to get up again but failed. My second plan was to wiggle out. But that didn't seem to work. The woman on the chair seemed to slowly start to wake up. "Excuse me, Miss where am I? Who are you?" I yelled out at her. When she fully focused on her surroundings, her eyes went wide and she quickly rushed out of the room. I heard the door slam shut and I lifted my head to see if anyone else was around to help me out.

"Help!"I cried out in Russian. I sat in silence for some time looking up at the ceiling. Then I heard the door creak open followed by multiple footsteps. I looked over and saw the Tsar and Mama walk in followed by Dr. Botkin and Anna. Mama came up to me with swelled eyes looking like they were about to leak of tears. She stroked my head and kissed it. "Oh Valentina, I thought you were getting better. Well I was wrong. I telegramed Father Grigori yesterday. He will pray for you. Instead of seeing him once a week you will now spend two days a week with him in church."Mama's shaky voice explained.

I looked over and saw the Tsar. He wasn't on the point of sobbing but I could tell that he was hurting, just not wanting to show it. "Ok Vanya, Dr. Botkin will now give you medicine to make you feel better."Mama said sitting beside me, stroking my head. She took my hand and I saw the big needle coming towards my other arm. When I felt it inject my skin I squeeze her hand. She looked at me and kissed my head. "Anita will stay with you. I must prepare you and your sisters for tonight's ball. "Mama explained kissing my forehead and then taking the Tsar's hand and leaving.

Dr Botkin left with them followed by Anna. I looked over to see the girl in the blue dress from earlier. She was pretty young. In her 20s maybe? She came and sat in the chair next to me. "How long do I have to be here?"I asked her. She looked at me confused until I asked her in English. "Until The Empress comes for you."she replied. I let out an annoyed sigh.

"Can't I at least move around?"I asked her. Anita opened the doors for a second and two soldiers came in. They stood in front of the doors. Anita then came to me taking off the covers and unstrapping me from the bed.

I sat up stretching my arms out and looking at the one injected with the shot. Then I hopped off the bed and looked at all the religious symbols and saints in the room.

Hours went by until Anita was informed that Mama was coming to us. She strapped me into a chair as two soldiers held me down so I would not try to escape. At this point I gave up. I felt like I was going insane. The whole time I sat in silence and Anita wouldn't talk to me.I sat in the chair with my arms and legs strapped to it.

The door opened revealing Mama walking in followed by a few ladies in waiting carrying different things like a dress, jewelry, etc. "Unstrap her. We must prepare her for the ball."Mama ordered. The two soldiers stepped outside and Anita locked the door after them. The other ladies in waiting unstrapped me and I stood up. My mama ordered them to help me get into my dress for the ball. It was yellow and very pretty. "Will all of us will be matching?"I asked. "Yes."she answered.

I got dressed into the ball gown and they fixed my hair. Brushing it, braiding it, and tying it. I had one long braid that went down my back. They put on very expensive looking jewelry, diamonds, rubies, gold, all of it. By the time they were done Mama called in the two soldiers to escort me to the Grand Duchesses with her. "Please don't ruin your hair darling, it was just done."she muttered as we started walking. The place looked very unfamiliar. "Where are we?"I asked. "In Queen Mary's and King George's palace. They let us stay in here after your incident on the beach yesterday."she answered.

I sighed and walked quietly with her on the rest of the way. We reached the double doors. Mama looked at me and said, "You must apologize to Olga when we step inside here because she has been upset all night crying and thinking she did wrong.". I nodded my head and she opened the doors and revealed the Grand Duchesses getting ready with the help of the ladies in waiting. The soldiers stood near the doors and we entered the chaotic room. All of us wore the same yellow dress. Olga had her hair up and everyone else had their hair brushed and styled.

"I can't wait to have my hair up when I turn sixteen."Tatiana gushed to the lady in waiting that was styling her hair. When Olga turned around she greeted Mama, "Hello Mama.". She slowed down her sentence when she saw me standing next to her. The whole room went quiet and all eyes were on me. I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out. I turned to look at Mama and saw her firm expression.

I looked over at Olga, "I am sorry for what I've done yesterday. I was being difficult and sick.". She gave me a small smile and and stood up giving me a hug. I flinched because this was unexpected. She pulled back and smiled, "It is ok Vanya! I am just happy to see you here!".  The chatter of the room continued and I looked over at Mama but she seemed on edge. "Anita call over Dr Botkin."she whispered to her in English.

Anita unlocked the door and left. Anna looked over at Mama with a concerned face and started talking to her.  Olga pulled me away from them and sat me down across from her. "Valentina you look so pretty! How are you feeling?!"she asked trying to make conversation. "Thanks and good."I replied looking over at Mama stepping out of the room. Olga looked at me confused. I guess it was my improper English. I needed to know what was going on so I stood up and walked over purposely tripping on the carpet for the attention of everyone. A few ladies in waiting and Olga came to me to help me get up. "It should start working any second now."I heard Dr Botkin say through the door.

"Vanya! Are you alright?"Olga asked concerned while helping me up. "Yes, Yes. I'm fine."I answered. I stood up brushing off the dust on my dress. The ladies in waiting were checking my hair if it was in place. The other one was powdering me for no redness on my face and putting on more perfume so it could kill everyone around me. "Hannah, that's enough of fragrance I'm starting to get a headache."Mama ordered. "Girlies stay here. I must get ready myself. Anita watch her closely."Mama ordered. The Grand Duchesses said goodbye and she left me in this chaotic room. But I started getting a funny feeling in my body.