Chapter 12

Elizabeth and Samantha were having a great time. Nikos had dropped her off at Sam's house. And even though there was an offer of a lift. They both decided they would prefer taking Sam's car. Nikos didn't object which meant neither did Luca. He was keeping true to his word. Granted it had only been an hour and a half, but still, this was good.

The first shop they went to had some interesting but costly pieces.

'Jesus. Look at this Lizzie, a pram for over two thousand euro. Who in their right mind would pay that?'

'I don't know. I certainly wouldn't.'

'They do have some nice things here though. That pink crib we saw was adorable.'

'But you don't know if it's going to be a boy or a girl. Shouldn't you pick more neutral colors just in case? That is unless you are planning to find out before the birth? Have you and Mateo decided?'

'No, we haven't. I want it to be a surprise, and he wants to know. We're not really seeing eye to eye at the moment. About anything really.'

'I'm sure it's just stress Sam. It's a major thing having a bay. There's going to be a huge change in your lives. It's no wonder you're both feeling a bit nervous and stressed out. And that you're taking it out on each other.'

'You're probably right. I've been on him when it comes to the marriage thing as well. I'm sure I've not helped the situation.'

'Ok. What is it about you and marriage these days? It never seemed to me that you thought of it as important at all.'

Sam looked down to her little baby bump and gently stroked it with her hand.

'I don't know if it's just that I'm pregnant or that were starting a family, or that I love him so much. I just want the commitment, Lizzie. It feels important.'

Elizabeth rubbed her shoulder and said soothingly.

'I can understand that. Of course, I do. And so will Mateo, maybe you just need to give him a little breathing room, a chance to regroup. Becoming a father can be a scary thing; maybe he just needs some time to think things through.'

Sam gave her a small smile.

'You might be right. I should be more patient.'

Patience had never been something Samantha had excelled at, Elizabeth hoped she would find some within her now. She didn't like Mateo, but it was clear to see Sam loved him, very much.

'Come on. Let's get out of this place, and get some lunch before we continue shopping.'

Coming back to the house Elizabeth felt reenergized. She'd had a great day; they had shopped, laughed and talked for hours. It almost felt like they were back home, they were doing things they hadn't really done since Samantha had moved here. It was one thing she was grateful for, the close proximity to her cousin.

It was ten past seven which meant she was ten minutes late for dinner, but she had said that she thought she was going to make it. Anyway, she was almost a hundred percent sure that Nikos had texted Luca when they were on their way home.

Both father and son were waiting for her in the dining room.

As soon as she walked in, Luca went from looking like thunder to relieved, and Nikolaos offered her a cheerful greeting.

'Elizabeth. How was your day?'

She gave them both a big smile.

'It was terrific. How was yours?'

'Well, mine was good. Some productive meetings and I received an invitation for all of us to attend a fundraiser on Saturday. It's for a good cause, we should all go.'