Chapter 6

Luca was pissed. Not only at Elizabeth but at his father as well. He shouldn't even be here right now. He was supposed to be attending a business summit for two days on the west coast. He had planned it all out. He and Elizabeth would have been married before he arrived. And that would have been that. No one came between a husband and wife. Not in this family.

At the bottom of the stairs, he was greeted by Nikos.

'Why wasn't I informed that my father didn't leave for the summit?'

'We didn't know Luca. We just assumed he left hours ago.'

'Well, he didn't, and that's something that should have been communicated to me before I brought Elizabeth here.'

'I'm sorry.'

'It's done.'

Luca took Elizabeth's phone out of her purse and handed it to Nikos.

'Take this phone and set it up for me.'

'Just tracking?'

'No. I want access to everything. Location, text messages, phone calls everything.'

'Ok.'

'And call for a doctor. I want one here within the hour.'

'Are you ok?'

'It's Elizabeth.'

When he saw Nikos intended to continue with questions, he just gave him a hard look and said.

'Don't ask.'

'Got it, boss.'

It was time to deal with his old man.

He was standing by the drink trolley by his desk when Luca walked in. There was no other greeting than that of his father showing him with a gesture of his hand, to go and sit down in one of the leather chairs in the middle of the room.

'Do you want a drink?'

He looked at his father and then at his watch.

'It's a bit early for that isn't it?'

'Oh, I don't know son. When kidnapping is discussed is it ever too early for a drink?'

'Look-'

'Don't you look me, what the hell have you done? Have you utterly and completely lost your mind?'

'It's not as bad as it seems.'

'We have managed to get through fifteen years of living life on the edge, with thievery, murders, and god knows what else we did to survive. And I have not once had to see the inside of a jail cell. And neither have you. Now we have finally after five years of hard work, back door deals, bribes and public displays of generosity gotten ourselves to a point where we are not constantly looking over our shoulders for either cops or enemies. And how do you choose to celebrate?'

He slammed down his drink in one big gulp.

'By kidnapping a girl and committing a crime that would put you away for years.'

'You only go to jail if you're caught. That's something you taught me early.'

'Yes, I also taught you that the only way you make sure is to leave no trace behind. No, loose ends. Are you telling me that if this little experiment of yours doesn't work, you're willing to tie up those loose ends?'

That was crossing the line.

Luca got up so quickly that the chair fell backward and was on his father in a matter of seconds, a hand around his throat.