Chapter 9

Helena brought up some tea and toast after Luca left, and Elizabeth was fairly sure Luca had asked her to do it. She managed to drink the tea but ended up only eating a few pieces of the toast.

She was nervous.

And there were only eight hours to go.

All of a sudden the door flew open and Luca stormed in.

'What the hell are you doing?'

He started looking through the room, throwing off the bedding, going through the closet, and now he was on his way to the bathroom. And he wasn't answering.

'Luca? What are you doing?'

He turned to her, the anger in his eyes made her take a step back.

'Where is it?'

'I don't know what you mean. Where is what?'

'The phone.'

Was he crazy? He took her phone.

'You have it. You took it, remember?'

'You must have another one.'

'I don't.'

'Don't lie to me.'

He was losing it.

'I'm not lying; I promise I don't have a phone. Why would you think that?'

He came closer and closer as she was backing away and when she hit the wall, he got up in her face.

'Your cousin is outside the gates, requesting at the top of her lungs that I return you to her. Now how did she know you were here?'

'Samantha's here?'

The joy was overwhelming. She'd missed her; it was the longest they'd gone without seeing each other.

'Yes. She's here. And she brought that useless son of a bitch with her.'

'Mateo? I didn't tell her Luca, I don't have a phone. I haven't spoken to her I swear.'

He was looking at her as if deciding if he believed her. He slammed his right hand into the wall where she was standing.

'This is not how I planned it. I was going to handle this in more controlled forms. After you'd had a chance to settle into your new life here, with me.'

'You need to let her in; if she knows I'm here, she won't give up until she's seen me.'

'I'm aware of that. Your little Samantha doesn't know what's best for her and that little family she's creating. Showing up here ranting about her abducted cousin, is asking for trouble.'

'She is fully aware of our history. That's why they helped me six months ago.'

'She has guts I'll give her that. It's probably a good thing even though it's a fucking inconvenience. One person in a relationship needs to have some balls. And it's not her man.'

'You could tell her I was just visiting, and let me go. That would solve all this right now. Just let me go.'

She should have known that wouldn't work. He didn't even get upset. It was like a calm came over him, and he just looked at her and said.

'No.'

He could come up with a solution then. And with how fucked up his mind was he probably already had.

'Then what shall we do?'

'You're going to go downstairs with me and give an Oscar-worthy performance of love and devotion. And if you step out of line, if for some reason this doesn't go the way I want it to go. The next event you'll attend will be her funeral. Do you understand?'