Chapter 11

Elizabeth pulled up at Samantha's house. She hadn't known what to expect, but this traditional little house wasn't all what she'd been expecting. She loved it, at least from the outside. But coming from where she was currently residing it looked really tiny. And not at all the sort of house she would have thought Mateo would have gone for.

Samantha ran out of the door was, and she immediately stepped out to meet her halfway.

'I'm so glad you're here Lizzie. I can't believe the man made me wait five weeks before he let you come.'

'I missed you too. And it wasn't just his fault Samantha. We've been so busy, it's been insane.'

'I know. There have been new articles every other day about various charity do's you've attended and donated to.'

'That's not even half of what we've done. Half is being held for publication in the next months to come.'

'You guys look so good together. If I didn't love you as much as I did, I would be green with envy. To think, that my cousin has managed to snag the unattainable Luca Costas. I swear it's almost too much to take in. Most women would kill to be in your shoes.'

Maybe they would.

'Who's that?'

She pointed to Leandro's who was sitting in the car just looking at them.

'My bodyguard, Luca insisted.'

'Of course, he did. He loves you, Lizzie.'

Elizabeth felt it wiser not to make any comments to that statement.

'I saw the cat article. I almost peed my pants. I laughed so hard.'

'I'm glad I could be a source of amusement. Seriously, Sam, I was so scared I thought I was going to pee my pants.'

'The reporter wrote that it was not hard to imagine that some of the rumors concerning Luca's past were indeed correct and accurate. With the way, he looked at that woman at the cat shelter, with murder in his eyes.'

'Well. I don't think it was that bad. You know reporters like to sensationalize these things.'

'I really want to know something, Lizzie.'

'What?'

'What does it feel like knowing that a man capable of such violent acts, a man feared by so many, for some reason only seems to care about you?'

What kind of question was that? How were you supposed to answer? She didn't want to think about all the heinous things that Luca had done. It freaked her out.

'Oh come on Sam. Luca is a businessman; he's not dangerous at all. I think most of the stories you've heard have been very much exaggerated. If he really was all they said he was. He would be behind bars.'

She could tell Sam didn't agree with her. But as always she sensed Elizabeth's hesitation in continuing the conversation and dropped it. She was grateful.

Elizabeth wanted to change the topic altogether.

'Look at you Sam, your belly is beginning to really show.'

'I know. I can believe I'm growing a human being. It's hard to wrap my brain around.'

'I can imagine. I won't lie and say I'm not a little jealous.'

'Come on let's move this inside. I can wait to show you the nursery, and then we are going to sit outside in the sunshine. I'm going to fix you one of my special drinks, and we are going to talk for hours. Just like old times.'