The Little Changes

Waking up to the rumble of a motor, Amber laid back in the car seat. She blinked hastily at the car window.
Where am I?

"Oh, finally. Geez how long do you sleep."

"Ugh. Natalie is that you? What happened?"

"Why don't you tell me. I just saw you sleeping on the bench in the mall."

"Huh?"

"I guess you didn't get enough food today or something because you were knocked out cold."

Amber's eyes blinked a couple of times until she realized what she witnessed earlier in the mall.

"You are quite heavy for a skinny girl like you," said Mrs. Crumber. She smiled cheekily as if it wasn't a problem at all.

"Thank you Mrs. Crumber, for carrying me and all. I think I saw something that I wasn't suppose to," said Amber questioning herself.

"What is that suppose to mean," Natalie said.

Natalie got interrupted when they got to Amber's house to drop her off.

"Bye see you tomorrow!" Said Natalie as Amber exited the car.

Amber got into her house and closed the door behind her, pushing up against it, breathing heavily. She felt guilty for not saying goodbye or thanks but she hoped that Natalie and her mother would understand.
What the actual hell. What was that? What did I just witness. No, they might be cosplayers or something. But that thing was flying! Maybe it was string? But why would they act in front of no crowd. Everyone left because of the pretzels. Are humans just little flies to them or something? Weak... so weak compared to them. How did I survive something like that. How can I live knowing things like that are out there. Is my whole life a lie?
Amber put her hands to her head as if it hurt to think. She walked upstairs to fall on her bed, looking up at the ceiling. She couldn't help but cry at the images, what she saw, play out through her head.
The dirmagroth looked so familiar in the human form. Like I've seen him at school. Amber paused for a second and clasp her hands over her pink pin. "Don't trust anyone at this school." That phrase replayed throughout her head like a broken record until she finally realized.
Is it this pin that's helping me see the truth? That blond kid dropped it because he wanted me to have it. It was on purpose, not accidental.
Amber stared at herself in the mirror. Her hair was a centimeter  pink at the roots of her head. It's like her hair grew but the pinkness was a lot more noticeable now.  Maybe at a far distance you won't see but up close, it's something impossible to hide.
Is this some sort of magic?

Amber dyes the rest of her hair pink that night. Since her hair was growing pink, it would look weird if the roots where pink and the rest fades to black. Amber convinced herself that it's easier this way and she no longer has to keep up with dying her roots every once in a while.
After her thoughtful shower, Amber became obsessed with her pink pin. She stared at it all night trying to figure out its secrets.

She woke up the next morning feeling enlightened as she found the missing piece to the puzzle.

The pin isn't magic, it blocks magic. The pink hair is only a defect from my brain being stimulated. If this thing blocks magic, then it makes me more aware of my surroundings.
Her train of thought was interrupted by her mom yelling to her that breakfast was ready.

"Coming!"

Amber ran down stairs as she didn't stumble over something for the first time. She passed on the bagel bites and instead made herself a bowl of cereal. Her mom watched her from afar while she paused before clasping her lips to her tea.

"You seem less ditzy today." Her mom said as she watched Amber pour the milk.

"Touché."

"You're normally in a rush every morning to leave the house," her mom said with a tiny smirk.

"I'm feeling different today."

Amber slurped up the rest of her meal and put the bowl in the sink.

"Bye mom I love you."

"Love you too. Have fun at school!"

Amber closed the front door and turned to see Natalie and Joey waiting.

"Ooooooo, I see your keeping it trendy," Said Natalie, touching Amber's locks.

"When you said you were going to dye your hair, I didn't know it would be pink!"

"It looks good!" Replied Joey.

The rest of the day was normal school stuff, boring and exhausting, but Amber felt more refreshed in her mind. She was very cautious, paying attention to her surroundings since she knows what actually exists out there.
Any of these people can be non human. I need to keep an eye out and follow the rule of not trusting anyone.
Something inside of her still had hope for finding that blond guy that intentionally gave her the pin. She especially kept an eye out for him because she wants more answers.
It finally was almost the end of the day as Amber sat in her math class absorbing more information than usual.

"Your project is due in a couple more days so you and your partners better work on it."

The whole class sighed at once.
As class was about to be over, Amber was packing up her stuff when Leila approached her.

"Your house, after school today. Text me!" Leila left the room.

"Oh by the way. Your hair looks good."

Amber watched as Leila merged in with the other people walking through the halls.
She can't just invite herself over to my house like that.
Joey was standing outside the class waiting for her to leave the room so they can go to chemistry together.

"You look frustrated right now. Is everything ok?"

"It could be worse." Said Amber as she puckered out her lips and crossed her arms.

"You mind telling me?"

"It's Leila. We are partners in this math project that's due soon."

"Oh Leila? I wouldn't trust her if I were you. I have a bad feeling about her and never really liked her either."

"Tell me about it."

They both giggled as they entered the class and then became dead silent.
Why does Joey have to sit so far away. I hate this class so much.
Amber arrived home and immediately went into the cabinet to get food.

"Mom, this one girl Leila is coming over so we can work on this math project," yelled Amber because her mom was upstairs.

"Ok sweetie but just to let you know, I'm going to a doctors appointment today."

"Ok mom."
Wait a second. I have an idea on how to deal with Leila.